• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

16000 px size limitation problems

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On 2013 iMac, MacOS Sierra and upgraded to After Effects 2017. I'm working with an older AE file to resize from 13256x48 to 17248x56. I've duplicated to same composition to accommodate shorter animations from 3200px wide and smaller. I have to submit AVI files, so I'm outputting .mov files then simply converting to AVIs using VLC. No issues in the past.

Currently, the new problem is I cannot render any .mov or other file when the composition is beyond 16000px wide. Troubleshooting includes creating completely new and stripped down animations to test size issue and nothing will process because of the size.

Any insights will be appreciated.

Daniel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What format are you using. There must be about a thousand .mov formats - many have specific frame size requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gerard.

Since it worked with other formats, I'm using the stock AE Quicktime format and the Animation codec.

Do you know of another format better to use? I did attempt the Apple 422, but I've had better use of that with other project, mainly with typical video rather than AE animation signboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, meant to state that I'm using the stock AE Quicktime format and Animation codec because it worked with the other composition sizes (I said other formats), as well as past sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Animation does not have resolution limitation to my knowledge. Ae has 30k limitation on the composition dimensions. this is 30k image buffer which means that if you have effects that use more pixels, or use 3D - this could mean you less than 30k before Ae will fail.

what exactly is the error message you are getting? you should isolate your problem - create a simple comp with these dimensions and try to render it, does it fail? does it work on CC2015?

I just tested my CC2017 on Win7 with the same dimensions you provided and above and it rendered file with the animation codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Roei. That was my understanding about Animation under AE, which is why I'm so perplexed.

I'm not getting any error messages, as much as the file it processes will appear black with some streaks of the animation and applied graphics.

Here are screen shot examples of how it should render (one of the smaller versions with yellow)and what I'm getting (and it appears even the streaks are not showing in the screen grab).

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 1.17.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 1.19.22 PM.png

I have also made some troubleshooting like you, where I recreated a comp with stripped down animation or none at all. The issue persists. I'll see if I'm able to reload CC2015 and render it there, too.

Any other thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I understand correctly - you are able to render your file, but the result when previewed looks bad or corrupted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct Roei.

Here's the kicker, though. The exported .mov file looks wrong when played in Quicktime, but when we process the .avi and set both the .mov and .avi (to test) back into an AE composition, both appear and play in that timeline, so the data is there.

I think it's just the Quicktime playback, Mac Sierra or a glitch in AE.

I did attempt AE 2015 and it had the same issue. I'll pursue this with Adobe and maybe Apple to see if there are any actual issues other than this playback. I've delivered the file to the venue to test and preview, so I'm hoping all things work.

So, although this issue isn't resolved, there is potential.

Does all of that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It makes perfect sense. The only test should be the playback in Ae. If your rendered footage is looking ok in Ae then it's perfectly fine. Quicktime is a pretty bad playback player as is, even without extreme resolution. VLC is better. For this type of footage, Ae is your playback and quality test until you can check it in the venue playback system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines