• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Track matte alpha matte problem

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a line and a square and a invisible box. The line is on the bottom and is keyframed to move from the top to the bottom of the screen. I parented the invis box to the line and placed it above the line. Then i alpha matted the box to the invis box (so the box can only be seen when the invis box is above it). According to youtube videos it should work so the box can only be seen when the invis box is above it, but when i do this, the non invis box cannot be seen any more even when the matte invis box is above it. So in other words my track matte is making its matted object invisible even when its above it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure about your setup. a screenshot would be better. you should educate yourself through the tutorials from professional authors - there are a good number of those in the adobe website. such as this:

Luma and Alpha modes in track mattes | Adobe After Effects CC tutorials

you can also read about it here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/alpha-channels-masks-mattes.html

the basic idea is to control transparency of a layer through another layer i.e one layer control the transparency, and the other controls the movement. a good example is to making a peekaboo. a layer beneath reveals itself through a window. that window is the alpha matte on top of it.

so the below layer is the peekaboo element that moves from point A to point B. the window is a solid with a mask or a rectangle shape layer and it is placed above the peekaboo layer. now set the peekaboo element to alpha matte the layer above. now the layer above is its alpha matte and automatically the video switch will be turned off. you can now move the peekaboo layer and it will be visible only in the area that's opaque in the layer above it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes what I was asking at the time was why wasn't my invisible box working as a matte layer. I worked it out though and it was because it was invisible, it has no stroke or fill, so there was no matte. When I watched the tutorial a guy clicked the alpha matte and it was invisible so I thought it was invisible to begin with. There's where I got stuck. Any way thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll guess you're brand-new to AE.  Beware of YouTube tutorials!  A lot of them really suck!  Go here:

After Effects tutorials

Learn AE from the Pros and not some lame high school kid who just thinks he knows what he's doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes what I was asking at the time was why wasn't my invisible box working as a matte layer. I worked it out though and it was because it was invisible, it has no stroke or fill, so there was no matte. When I watched the tutorial a guy clicked the alpha matte and it was invisible so I thought it was invisible to begin with. There's where I got stuck. Any way thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines