Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE 2017 Crashing during preview

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2013 Macbook pro (sierra)

Installed updated Adobe CC and working on a project in AE.  Manually stabilizing a hyperlapse/timelapse video specifically, and when I make an adjustment, apply, and playback the preview, I get Mac's spinning beachball and have to force quit the program.  I've done many of these in the past without issue, any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem and there's a workaround. Find it here:

Re: AE2017: looping playback beachball

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a complete application crash when previewing.  Everytime.  With any footage, affected or not.  Huge problem.  My work is completely shut down because of this.  Epic fail Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My work is completely shut down because of this.  Epic fail Adobe.

you know you can still use previous versions, right? what ever happens, you are not doomed. anyways, about your issue - if resetting the preferences, making sure your GPU is up to date, and at the end complete reinstall - all don't work, I would contact customer service and get to the bottom of this via chat + remote control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of bugs in CC 2017! Lots of people disinstall it and reinstall CC 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your success with CC 2017 depends on your system and the other software you have installed, just as your success with any build of any software from any company does. I've had updates to Microsoft Office kill Excel and Microsoft project before.

OSX 10.11.4 on my Mac Pro and 10.12.1 on my MacBook Pro R and another Mac Pro are working just fine with CC2017 and I've moved all of my daily production to the updated version and I'm turning out more in a day than I was before the update by about 15%. But I'm just one of many folks that I know that are also moving to CC 2017 for their production work. There are a few folks that are having major problems and without knowing the full details of their systems, workflow and the other software that they are using it's hard to point to any specific solution to the problem until enough solutions are found to build a solution reference library.

If you are using AE, or any software for that matter, and you decide to upgrade you must provide yourself with a way back that is simple and fast. Adobe makes it easy, but unfortunately hides the option to keep the previous versions under an options link at the bottom of the installer. I've lobbied for the default to be changed from remove previous versions to keep previous versions. At least you can fairly easily find previous versions if you have made the mistake of removing them during install. Loosing time and revenue is almost never Adobe's, or any other software manufacturers fault, it's yours for not establishing a reliable protocol for updating your software and returning to previous versions if something goes wrong. Any day of the week at any time I have a clone of my boot drive with working versions of my software ready for for a swap out which takes about 5 minutes on my older Mac Pro or about 15 minutes on the MacBook ProR and new MacPro using my backup and restore software. If all else fails I can always boot to the backup external drive and fix the problem later. That takes as long as a reboot.

I've said enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. After update do AE cc 2017 it crashes on preview. It's a very simple scene with texts.

Using Windows 8.1 Pro

Core i7 3.60 16gb ram,

GTX 970 (driver 375.57)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try resetting your preferences:

Reset After Effects Preferences

make sure your GPU driver is up to date. also try turning off hardware acceleration under preferences->display if it's checked on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Roei Tzoef, but didn't work!
I can´t preview anything!

Is Downgrade possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not just Macs.  I am having the exact same issue with my windows 10 machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cbarnhartIE wrote:

It is not just Macs. I am having the exact same issue with my windows 10 machine.

It may be the same symptoms, but it's not the exact same issue because the issue being talked about in this thread is specific to an issue with AE and MacOS 10.11+

Please tell us a lot more about your system (hardware, software, plugins and scripts installed, etc.), what happens, error messages, system logs, etc. so we can try to solve your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Szalam

On any playback of a composition AE crashes with "Adobe After Effects CC2017.0 has stopped working".  This is occurring every time no matter has simple the composition may be

System

Windows 10

Os build 14292.447

Processor Intel Corei7 - 4650U CPU@ 1.70gHz 2.30 GHz

Installed RAM 8.00GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rafael P Guimarães wrote:

Thanks Roei Tzoef, but didn't work!
I can´t preview anything!

Is Downgrade possible?

Yes, but technically no.

You can install older versions, but it doesn't remove the newer version. Your CC subscription includes access to CS6, CC, CC 2014, CC 2015, CC 2015.3, and CC 2017 releases of After Effects and you can install all of them alongside each other with no problems! Here's how: How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC

And, if you've started a project in CC 2017, you can save it back to "version 13" and it'll work in CC 2014, CC 2015, and CC 2015.3 versions.

There is a bug fix update coming "very soon" according to people at Adobe and I am hopeful that it will fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved the day! THX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if it has anything to do with new graphics acceleration? (Open GL vs Metal).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everybody who is having this issue, please install the latest update that came out last night: After Effects CC (November 2017) Bug-Fix Update Is Now Available

This update is 14.0.1 and is a bug fix for this and many other disturbing issues - especially for Mac users. It does not fix all the bugs that are new with the CC 2017 release (Known issues in After Effects CC 2017), but it does fix some issues that have been plaguing After Effects since the first parts of the new architecture showed up in the CC 2015 release.

if you can't see the update yet, you may need to wait a while until you see it as it can take up to 24 hours to populate an update across all the data centers. You may need to log out, relaunch the Creative Cloud app, and long in again.

HUZZAH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm upgrading from 2015 to 2017 again.  Fingers crossed that it works.  I hate when an app is released without full testing, and my time is wasted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Atom12izm wrote:

I'm upgrading from 2015 to 2017 again. Fingers crossed that it works. I hate when an app is released without full testing, and my time is wasted.

Remember, you can keep older versions installed alongside CC 2017. Just click Advanced Options and untick the option to remove old versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a update an app, I don't get the pop-up window with advanced settings. It starts updating right away. Is there another way to untick the option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

felixs357207 wrote:

When a update an app, I don't get the pop-up window with advanced settings. It starts updating right away. Is there another way to untick the option?

Wait, when you click the button to update, you don't get this screen?

Removeapps-clean.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aah I think I know what happened. I updated Premiere first as a test and didn't get the pop-up. But I don't have an older version of Premiere installed. I just updated Photoshop CC 2015 to 2017 and I did get the pop-up (kept 2015 for some extension that are not 2017 compatible yet). So I guess updating AE will give me the same options. Will check it later since I'm on a project atm. Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now, worked! Thx all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi geoffm,

Is this issue solved for you with the update?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The update has solved all my crashing issues, and I'm able to use AE 2017 now.  I still wish that AE would show both the video cards in my Mac Pro 6,1.  I didn't buy a machine with 12 BG VRAM for nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines