• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Running CC from an external hard drive

New Here ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mac is struggling to run CC, as it only has 8gb of RAM and cannot be upgraded – it's an iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015), 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3. I have heard it is possible to install and run Adobe CC from a partitioned external hard drive, to free up pressure on the internal hard drive. Is this possible, and, if so, how do I go about it? Layman's answers preferable as I'm not that techy – as is evidence by the fact I didn't realise you couldn't upgrade RAM in new iMacs after purchase! Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

The core of CC, namely the desktop application must be installed on the primary drive of the machine.  Beyond that you can specify an alternate location for the applications to be installed.

To change Install Location for Applications

With the CC application opened, choose the little gear icon in the upper right corner and then choose Preferences.  In the Preferences screen select Creative Cloud and then look for the Install Location drop down

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The core of CC, namely the desktop application must be installed on the primary drive of the machine.  Beyond that you can specify an alternate location for the applications to be installed.

To change Install Location for Applications

With the CC application opened, choose the little gear icon in the upper right corner and then choose Preferences.  In the Preferences screen select Creative Cloud and then look for the Install Location drop down

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the install location to a separate hard drive (G:) for both the app installation and Adobe files, but Creative Cloud keeps trying to install Photoshop on my C: drive.  (Which is a SSD without enough space.)  Is this a common problem?  I've already uninstalled Creative Cloud twice, restarted my PC a bunch of times.  I'm out of ideas...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that no Adobe program will install to an external drive that may be disconnected, since doing so would REALLY mess up the program registration system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am butting in here.. i am running a 2012 3.2Ghz iMac at lightning speed - well almost. Absolutely no problem. My internals drive is however kept to a minimum. I have 750GB free of 1TB. I do have 24GB RAM but it made very little difference to the performance as far as processing goes.

May I suggest you move all work files onto an external and make sure your boot drive is as free as possible so the system can run around with glee. Systems like wide open spaces

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haha i would but it is all window files that it "needs"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in need of CC and Adobe INDesign, I have a laptop with only 4 gig memory and it is NOT able to upgrade, can I download CC on to an external HD and run the program that way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you need, at least, 10 gb of open space on your os system drive, in addition, to lots of free space on installation drive.  ie, the cc desktop app needs to be installed on your os system drive.  the apps (eg, indesgin) can be installed elsewhere, but each of them also adds some files to your os system drive.

you have enough ram for the cc desktop app, but not enough for indesign or (probably) any other cc app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problems have nothing to do with where CC is installed. Your computer doesn't mean the minimum specs to run these applications.

RAM is working space, hard drive is storage. They are NOT the same. You don't have enough RAM, you need to install more or buy a newer computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No. You need at least 8GB of memory. That is RAM. Bare minimum. Some apps need more. Adding more disks is not going to add more RAM. Creative Cloud is a high end app, not suitable for entry level machines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines