• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do the masks change when I copy/paste them?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I've added some facial masks to a shot that has been Precomped, and want to paste those masks onto an original footage layer so I can track the face masks in Mocha (using MochaImportPlus).

However, when I paste the Precomp masks onto the footage mask, it does not match. The masks are way off and shrunken down. The Precomp lines up with the Footage layer though. The Precomped Shot is the exact same size as the footage layer shot, just with the blurs and skin retouch effects added. So why are the masks getting messed up?

Below is the Precomp with the facial masks

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 11.35.41 PM.png

And below is what happens when I try to copy/paste the facial masks to the footage layer so I can track the masks in Mocha

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 11.38.08 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, are the layers actually all the same size? Mask coordinates are relative to the layer, not the comp. Otherwise this could be two other issues: a) based on the humungous size of your screenshot there could be a high-DPI screen issue (=bug) where AE miscalculates coordinates or b) there is something wrong with the RED footage stuff, which also has been plagued by bugs in recent versions of AE. Take a pick.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oop, actually, they are not. The Raw Red Footage is 3792x3160 (2.0), while the comp (and sequence in which this film was picture locked in that I'm making the Linked Comps and doing VFX from) is 4096x1716 (1.0)

So yeah, maybe it's the mask coordinated to the 4096x1716 comp not gelling with the 3792x3160 footage.

But if that's the case, what's the ideal workaround when you're adding VFX (making linked comps) with a film's cut that's a different size/ratio from the raw footage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to put a mask on a scaled layer, pre-compose.

You are copying and pasting masks both layers should be at 100% scale.

Knowing that if you are going to have to paste a mask to a scaled layer than pre-compose before you paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines