3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2016 9:31 AM by Dov Isaacs

PDF 2.0 (ISO 32000-2) delivery in 2017

tzahir21007229 Level 1

I have a question about PDF 2.0 (ISO 32000-2) delivery in 2017.

Where can I get files examples for upload to see, if the new delivery is still compatible with the PDF Preview within my application?

• 1. Re: PDF 2.0 (ISO 32000-2) delivery in 2017
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

At this point, ISO 32000-2 has passed its DIS4 vote, but has yet to be submitted to ISO for publication. This process could take the better part of one year based on our previous experiences with ISO with ISO PDF as well as PDF subsets such as PDF/A, PDF/X, and PDF/VT.

You shouldn't expect any commercial generation of PDF 2.0 for a while yet and as such, current PDF clients are somewhat “safe” for the time being.

As far as we know, there aren't anything other than examples of fragments of PDF 2.0 which can be found in the DIS documents.

- Dov

• 2. Re: PDF 2.0 (ISO 32000-2) delivery in 2017
            tzahir21007229 Level 1

Thank you very much Dov!

Do you have the roadmap or delivery estimated date?

Thanks again

• 3. Re: PDF 2.0 (ISO 32000-2) delivery in 2017
              Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Publication of ISO 32000-2 is not likely before mid-2017 based on previous experience. Actual applications generating some of the more interesting features of PDF 2.0 are not likely before 2018.

By the way, very few PDF 2.0 features are likely to cause any significant problem with viewers that fully support ISO 32000-1 based on PDF 1.7. Proper PDF viewers are supposed to effectively ignore operators, dictionary entries, and graphic states that they don't know about or support. If your current viewer is primarily looking at static graphical content (text, vector graphics, and raster graphics) that come from typical enterprise and graphic arts applications, you are unlikely to find any issues for at least a few years! 

- Dov