• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why won't my MP3s play online when they work in CC 2016 Animate's Control Test?

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a series of animations which work fine on various browsers. Now I'm trying to add music. I added a layer and imported an MP3 to the first frame of one of the animations. It plays perfectly on the timeline and with control > test. But when I publish it and use Dreamweaver to post it, there's no sound at all on either Firefox or Safari. What am I missing? Help would be much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

When you publish from Animate you usually get an HTML file, a JS file, a folder of images, and a folder of sounds. If all of your animation is vector art you won't have got an images folder, but you should have a sounds folder, sat next to where the HTML and JS files are located.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what if you upload your animate published html and swf?  does the sound play?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I upload swf? Is there something I should do in Publish Settings? Or is there a way to isolate the swf? Or is that something I add on the .html or .js page in Dreamweaver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you creating an actionscript or canvas project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know the answer to that. This is my first animation project. I just opened Animate, created the animation, and used the attached Publish Settings.Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 11.01.11 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wait! I do know the answer! I see on the tab for the animation that it's Canvas. (Although I don't know what that means: I'll look it up.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's a canvas project.

you need to upload your sound file sounds folder (and the sound file that's in it) to your website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some browsers, especially on mobile, require a user action before they allow sound to be played. Try putting in a Start button before you allow the animation to play.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean users would have to push a start button to begin the animation? I can't have it begin automatically? And this isn't just a question of some mobile browsers... Firefox and Safari don't play the sound on my desktop computer... but I'll try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's a general security protection. Apple and Mozilla don't want you to unintentionally go to a web page and be force fed audio you didn't want to hear.

Another approach would be to have rewind and sound buttons, that way the animation would play in silence, but the user could touch the sound button to make sound start, or the rewind button to start the animation over again, this time with sound.

You will have experienced this kind of approach yourself, just look at all of the videos that appear in your Facebook feed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Major discouragement. When I try to add the start button Control Test just shows a blank page.

I feel like Adobe is making this very hard to learn to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again, you need to upload your sounds folder.

what's the link to your url that displays the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

day2 arrrgh whenever I copy the link it changes it to this one part. I am in way over my head and am about to run screaming into the street.

OK: it works if I leave off http: hannahjennings.com/adventcalendar16/day2.html

I have 25 different little animations with music to send to friends, family, and clients as an advent calendar. I've worked on this intermittently for months and really need to resolve it.

How do I upload my sounds folder? Why isn't it just going up with the images?

I very much appreciate your help and that of Colin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you upload your images folder? You would upload your sounds folder in the same way, to the same server folder that you uploaded the images folder, js and html files.

Your day buttons should be enough to make sounds work ok, though I'm not positive if it will work seeing as you're changing web pages each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I did was publish the animation to a local folder, then open it in Dreamweaver (so I can add background color etc that I am not worrying about at the moment) and upload the .html and .js files generated. I didn't do anything specific about an images folder, Animate took care of that.

Why would it matter than I'm changing web pages? Each one is a discreet animation. Actually, I had a lot of trouble with those day buttons, especially on devices, so I ended up faking it by making the whole stage a link to the next day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

animate doesn't automatically do anything with the published files.  unless you used imported bitmaps, you don't even have an images folder.

ie, (again)you need to upload your sounds folder.  if colin doesn't know how to use dw to do that and you don't know how to use your server's dashboard or ftp program, post on the dw forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how Dreamweaver publishes to a site, but it may involve FTP. If you can figure that out you would then use an FTP program to upload the sounds folder to the same place.

About the different pages, suppose you go to a web site that says "listen to jingle bells", you click or touch the button that gives it permission to play that sound, then the page redirects to one that plays incredibly loud explicit rap music. The mermission to play sound may not carry over to subsequent plages.

But, it also may work, so do give it a try, once you have your sounds uploaded.

One odd thing though, your current pages are not showing any errors, which suggests there is no code in there to play the sounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is on the .js uploaded:

// library properties:

lib.properties = {

width: 800,

height: 600,

fps: 24,

color: "#336633",

opacity: 1.00,

webfonts: {},

manifest: [

{src:"sounds/C2.mp3", id:"C2"}

]

};

Doesn't that look like the "Sound folder" is covered?

How would I add code to play the sounds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sounds/C2.mp3 isn't uploaded at the link you previously posted.  that we can see from checking your site.

what we don't know is how to use dw to upload that folder.  post on the dw forum.  or don't even use dw.

why are you using dw?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have sounds in the timeline the code gets generated when you publish.

Have you been replacing the JS file each time you make an update to the animation? Dreamweaver may still be using an old version of that file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've been updating. I tried using Fetch to upload, but that didn't help.

At least I know now that this is mysterious, not something totally stupid I'm doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there's nothing mysterious.  YOU NEED TO UPLOAD YOUR SOUNDS FOLDER.

that's about the forth time i've said the same thing and i don't know how to explain the problem and solution any more clearly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I'm being so frustrating: I just simply don't know what you mean by a "sounds folder," or how to find it.

Do you mean I should add the MP3 to the .html or .js? Without any code around it?

I'm using Dreamweaver because that's the app I normally work with. I tried uploading with Fetch but that's just the same thing as far as I can tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you publish from Animate you usually get an HTML file, a JS file, a folder of images, and a folder of sounds. If all of your animation is vector art you won't have got an images folder, but you should have a sounds folder, sat next to where the HTML and JS files are located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YES YES YES! Now I understand what you mean and I found it alphabetized under all the days and it works!

Bless your heart and thank you ever so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines