1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 14, 2016 12:34 AM by johnrellis

Lightroom strange behavior when updating XMP

mycroft.holmes Level 1

Hi all,

I am seeing a strange behaviour from time to time, but first let me list a few things which may be related.

I'm using the same version of LR on two macs: the folders with photos are synchronized via a cloud drive (but I sync just the pictures, not xmp), and I physically copy the catalog from one mac to the other (so, everything should be perfectly identical, except that the two macs are not in the same time zone).

The catalog is frequently tested, and it's not corrupt.

I have "auto-save to xmp" turned off and a smart collection that lists photos with metadata not up-to date.

Sometimes LR will display a few random pictures (which I didn't touch in years), saying that their metadata is not up to date (or in in conflict state).

If I manually overwrite the xmp, and I compare the new file with the previous one, I mostly see harmless changes (e.g. changes in "metadatadate", "instanceid" and sometimes an upgraded lightroom version).

Rarely, I see a few changes which I didn't make, and I cannot really decide whether they are real or not, for example:

*** /Lightroom/Local/2015/September/07/_DSC6642 copy.xmp2015-11-04 09:56:43 +0000
      --- /Lightroom/Local/2015/September/07/_DSC6642.xmp2016-11-13 13:35:54 +0000

*** 158,168 ****

crs:LensProfileChromaticAberrationScale="100"

crs:LensProfileVignettingScale="100"

crs:HasSettings="True"

!    crs:CropTop="0.017244"

!    crs:CropLeft="0.017244"

!    crs:CropBottom="0.982774"

!    crs:CropRight="0.982774"

crs:CropAngle="0"

crs:CropConstrainToWarp="1"

crs:HasCrop="True"

--- 158,168 ----

crs:LensProfileChromaticAberrationScale="100"

crs:LensProfileVignettingScale="100"

crs:HasSettings="True"

!    crs:CropTop="0.017293"

!    crs:CropLeft="0.017295"

!    crs:CropBottom="0.98272"

!    crs:CropRight="0.982722"

crs:CropAngle="0"

crs:CropConstrainToWarp="1"

crs:HasCrop="True"

Sometimes instead I see changes that are perfectly legitimate (e.g. added keywords, or develop changes), but which I made... years ago.

So they were never saved to xmp, but why LR figures it out randomly / just now?

Does anyone have an explanation?

Thanks, MH

• 1. Re: Lightroom strange behavior when updating XMP
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

The particular changes you posted are insignificant -- they represent less than half a pixel difference in a crop, and wouldn't have any effect on the exported crop.

but I sync just the pictures, not xmp
          Sometimes LR will display a few random pictures (which I didn't touch in years), saying that their metadata is not up to date (or in in conflict state).

Why don't you copy the .xmp sidecars?  Not copying the sidecars could cause the metadata to appear not up to date or in conflict.