• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clicking in the font name in the Character Formatting Controls and then using my arrow keys to scroll isn't working right. It's only using a few at the top.

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of the time, I like to select a word or words and click in the font name box and then use my arrow keys to scroll through my font list so that it previews the font on screen. However, with CC, there is a group of fonts at the top of my font list that it tends to jump to that section. Even if I select a font that starts with an "S", and then start using my up and down arrow keys to start from there to scroll through my font list, it will jump back to the very top of the font list into that group. Any way to get rid of that group up top that it wants to keep jumping too? I need it to work like it did in IDCS5.5

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016
know what I mean?

I think maybe I'm getting closer!

Like Steve said, mine is working the way you describe with the arrow keys. I pick a font, tap the down arrow key and it moves on down.

However, selecting a font appears to be throwing it into the favorites box above that line and then when I use my down arrow key it starts choosing fonts in the "favorites" until it gets to the beginning of my font list and going from there.

I think there is still confusion about the top of the list: it's recent

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version of InDesign (exact)? Operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12.0.0.81 Build. OS X 10.11.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working for me in OS X 10.12.1 and 12.0.0.81 build.

Try restoring your InDesign preferences:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh. I hate doing that. I get my settings all the way I want and to fix a weird issue with InDesign, it's always suggested to do what you suggested. Bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could always rename the pref files manually, and then restore them if it doesn't fix the problem.

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds better. I'll give that a shot. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Here's the problem. I renamed my save data file and the other file manually. Started ID back up opened a file. I clicked on the drop down arrow for my font list and selected Eurostile. I then clicked in the font name box and used my down arrow key on my keyboard and instead of starting with Eurostile as the starting font in the list, it jumped back to the top of my fonts list (in the A's) and started scrolling. Also, whenever I select a font from my font list by choosing it out of the list (instead of scrolling to it using my arrow keys) it gets added to the top of my font list like a "favorite" or something. I need it to NOT do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still working for me.

Do you have any other plug-ins (like Font Management) installed in InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quickest way IMHO to select a font is not to even open the list—just click and type in the first few characters. For example, eur for Eurostile:

InDesign CCss_014.png

As for the font list in general:

The star in front of the font name is used to mark a favorite. The star on the top row is used to filter down to just showing the ones you already marked as a favorite. Recent fonts appear above the black line. Once you choose a font, it will be in the recent fonts list at the top.

InDesign CCss_012.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. I usually will just start typing the name of a font I want if I know the name to get to it. However, sometimes I don't know what font I want to use for something so I will open the list, click on some random font which changes my highlighted text to that font. I then click once in the font name box and want to start choosing different fonts from the location of the font I chose by using the up or down arrow keys on my keyboard. However, selecting a font appears to be throwing it into the favorites box above that line and then when I use my down arrow key it starts choosing fonts in the "favorites" until it gets to the beginning of my font list and going from there. I don't want to start looking at fonts from my favorites and into the A's, I want to choose on say Eurostile and then when I hit the down arrow key, I want the next font in my font list to show up which in my case is Eurostile Extended. I don't want to start up in my favorites and scroll down and keep hitting favorites.... know what I mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

know what I mean?

I think maybe I'm getting closer!

Like Steve said, mine is working the way you describe with the arrow keys. I pick a font, tap the down arrow key and it moves on down.

However, selecting a font appears to be throwing it into the favorites box above that line and then when I use my down arrow key it starts choosing fonts in the "favorites" until it gets to the beginning of my font list and going from there.

I think there is still confusion about the top of the list: it's recent fonts and not favorites. If it is getting in the way, you can set the recent fonts to 0 and then maybe, just maybe, you too will have the behavior you are seeking. Come back and tell us!

InDesign CCss_015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THERE WE GO! That must be something new (I don't think that "recent font" thing was in IDCS 5.5). Turning that to 0 allows my list to work the way I want. Now that that's out of the way, I should be able to close InDesign, go into the Library and delete the new SaveData and Defaults (I kept the old ones in there, just added "old" to the file name) and take the ones I renamed and remove "Old" and then when I re-open InDesign, it should use those Save Data and Defaults. Then I can go back to the Preferences and turn that Recent Fonts to display back to 0..... right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! So glad we could help you get back on track, Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Thank you very much! Now, if it would just stop crashing =/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crud, now ID won't open at all after I went and renamed my SaveData and Default files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... worst situation is that you delete them, but first did you give them the correct names? And are you Mac or Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact names are:

• InDesign Defaults
  • InDesign SavedData

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already went ahead said screw it and dumped the old prefs and let it re-create them. I'm on OSX. And yes, I had the names correct.

I guess my only issue at this point is I don't like InDesign (or Photoshop or Illustrator for that matter) to have a large workspace open when there are no files open. If there is no file open, I don't want that grey empty space to be there. I think there is a spot to turn that off....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind. Found that. Window/Application Frame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha. Just came back to say that. It's in all 3 apps under the window menu.

Or...turn it back on and use Show Start Workspace at the top of General Prefs...

InDesign CCss_018.png

To see the recent files, CC files or Presets in the same space:

InDesign CCss_016.png

And if you are all set, go ahead and mark whichever answer was correct to close the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only see to mark things Helpful. How do I get to the thread view that shows the option to mark something as Correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmmm it should be underneath. You might need to click the original title at the top of this thread. Right now you're probably in the Inbox. If you don't see it don't worry about it. Steve or I can mark it as correct later. (I am now away from computer for a few hours.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines