• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

i have to make an ad be 1" by 2" and you can't make it be 1". How do i do this?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to create an advertisement that is 1" by 2".

I am new to the graphic design field so I need to know how I can create this ad in this exact size. I was told to adjust my margins??? I have no idea how to or why.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Start by setting the margins to 0 in the New Document dialog box. The default margins are set to .5 and there isn't any room for the content.

InDesign CCss_011.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by setting the margins to 0 in the New Document dialog box. The default margins are set to .5 and there isn't any room for the content.

InDesign CCss_011.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... lets me honest here: you have to learn InDesign first if you do not even understand how to type in your own dimensions in the New Document dialog.

If you can not even understand how to do this you can forget any next steps in working with InDesign: you need to be educated. You can follow training at a college or on-line like Lynda.com or do some self-study by buying a book about InDesign.

But, to answer you question anyway: set the measurement preferences to inches and type in your dimensions in the New Document dialog as BarBinder shows in the screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No shit!!!
I know how to make a document size, my question was how to make it be 1" since I can't make it be 1". The other person kindly helped me by telling me to adjust the margins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not mean to offend you, but I still think you are missing basic information to handle a program complex like InDesign. But your question is answered, so that is nice 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not the only person to stumble on the problem with margins that won't let you adjust the page size.

It is PERFECTLY REASONABLE to have your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sandee Cohen schreef:

You are not the only person to stumble on the problem with margins that won't let you adjust the page size.

It is PERFECTLY REASONABLE to have your question.

Sure it is. Sorry to have p****d you off, no offence, sorry.

That said: it is also perfectly reasonable to state you have some learning to do. Heck, in fact Sandees book is a very good start for beginners!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that worked, for you, Amanda. Sometimes getting started is the hardest part. Let us know (in a new thread) if you have any additional questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the kind help BarbBinder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines