• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I export my type specs from style sheets to text file

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know a way to export style sheets (paragraph and character) to a text file?

E.g. for a guidelines document I want to be able to spell out all the details for each style—Comic Sans 10/13 track: 10, space after, space before, etc. I don't want to painstakingly go through and write it all out.

Seems like there should be some script that does this???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been some scripts written for this—try searching.

The problem is if you want it to be complete, there are actually hundreds of properties, many of which have their own set of properties. Here's the property list for CS6 and it has only gotten larger for the newer versions:

InDesign ExtendScript API (10.0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob I'll dig into it. Appreciate the quick reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the Blatner Tools plug-in for InDesign, from DTPtools.com, which adds a style report item to the paragraph and character panel menus that offers user-selectable options for which styles to report, and for every style attribute.

Here's a video that explains how it works: Blatner Tools for InDesign Tutorial 6 - Style Reports - YouTube

If you think that will work for you, head over to: DTP Tools - Blatner Tools for Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks BarbBinder​ for the links and quick response

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I suppose the question you should ask yourself is what you want to do with such a document. If it's to pass to another designer to ensure consistency between documents, then it would be better to just give them an Indesign file with the styles already set up. Then, all they would need to do would be to import your styles into their document.

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you rock! this is perfect
thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above links returns page not found error!..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nandhinin87775610  wrote

The above links returns page not found error!..

Here are the new locations:

Export paragraph style description settings

List paragraph and character styles

However, these scripts are quite outdated: CC2019 has new properties, but I have no time to update them.

I had to restructure my site so old links don't work any more. Visit the Scripts sorted by categories page to find lost links.

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i have checked export paragraph styles script.. can we re import the exported styles into indesign?

is it possible? do you have any script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not from the script. Use the load styles command from the styles panel menu to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

but we could not load styles from txt/csv files by using load styles command right..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nandhinin87775610  wrote

Hi,

i have checked export paragraph styles script.. can we re import the exported styles into indesign?

is it possible? do you have any script?

No, I don't have such a script. Theoretically, it's possible: I even intended to write it. But in practice, there are bugs in InDesign so some properties were impossible to retrieve: I wrote about it at the bottom of the page. I haven't tested it in the recent versions — e.g. CC 2019 — maybe things have changed: old bugs fixed or new ones introduced.

I think it would be great to export styles to csv, open in Excel, sort them, check properties. make changes, if necessary, and finally, export to csv and import back to the inDesign file. However, I have no time to experiment with this,

— kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ok, i will check with new version properties..

Thank you so much for your response on your busy schedule

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines