• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Periods appearing over all my letters

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure this is a real easy fix with a press of a button, but for the life of me I cannot find the answer for it.
Untitled.png

Every time I type a letter, even in different fonts periods appear over every of the letters. It's not Hidden Characters, I thought about toggling that on and off and that didn't solve it.

Whenever I try to google it, it assumes I'm trying to insert a diacritic (from the glyph menu) and I can't find an answer on why I would be getting a single dot over every character as I'm typing.

I would greatly appreciate someone telling me the silly setting I need to turn off.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Let's see if it's a paragraph rule. And then we'll turn it off.

Click inside any text with the dots.

Go to the extreme right of the Control panel and click the icon to open the menu.

step 1.png

In the menu, choose Paragraph Rules.

Step 2.png

In the dialog box, look to see if Paragraph Rules is turned on.

Step 3.png

You can turn it off, but most likely it's going to pop up again. So click Cancel.

If it's not on, we'll have to figure out something else. But I'm almost positive it is.

If it is on, keep your cursor in that text and open t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first thought was that it could be a paragraph rule above, with the type of line set to dotted, but for every letter to have one dot above would take some serious coincidence to work out that way. Here's a screen shot of something similar done with a rule above, but the dots don't correspond directly to each letter.

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 9.42.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was there something with the paragraph rule that you toggled on or off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's see if it's a paragraph rule. And then we'll turn it off.

Click inside any text with the dots.

Go to the extreme right of the Control panel and click the icon to open the menu.

step 1.png

In the menu, choose Paragraph Rules.

Step 2.png

In the dialog box, look to see if Paragraph Rules is turned on.

Step 3.png

You can turn it off, but most likely it's going to pop up again. So click Cancel.

If it's not on, we'll have to figure out something else. But I'm almost positive it is.

If it is on, keep your cursor in that text and open the Paragraph Styles panel.

Look at whatever style is selected. It may or may not have a plus ( + ) sign.

Step 4.png

Double click that style, even if it doesn't have a plus sign.

In the dialog box, click Paragraph Rules.

Step 5.png

Turn off the rule. Click OK. This should turn off the dots for all text.

(PS It's possible, but doubtful that it's a Rule Below, so check that setting also.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for going through such length of showing examples. When you brought up paragraph styles I realized it probably had something to do with the styles. These files are given to us through a partnership in Japan and by default they had some weird setting on their style sheet (There wasn't anything listed in it though). However I imported some old styles from another document that I created and used them to override it and that did the trick. There was nothing selected with paragraph rules though prior to doing this though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select such a character and look in your Paragraph Styles panel. Does it show a '+' after the style name? In that case you have a local override of some kind. Hover the mouse on the style name to see what the overrides are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have underline turned on? But again it would be unlikely that the dots would be exactly over each letter.

Perhaps this is a demo font for testing? And to get rid of the dots, you need to buy the full version of the font? I've never come across anything like that, but it could be...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only time I bought a demo font, they made it a demo by substituting some glyphs with the company's logo. But never dots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This article might be a bit of a help on determining what those dots are. I had a similar experience with an indesign file that originated from Korea and as i was searching, I stumbled upon kenten which I think is what those dots are called (just a guess). From what I understand from the article, it is used to emphasize letters, more like an underline in an english text?

And I've read somewhere that you need to download a version of indesign that supports these characters to edit it. This is too much of a hassle for me so I just redid the whole file locally.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/formatting-cjk-characters.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines