• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where should i do my Characters for Adobe Animate ?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey dear guys,

i wanna start making my own Serie on Youtube and i am starting buying a Anime Tool, but before i buy one of few Tools that i found, i need to TEST them.

I Tested already few Tools and adobe animate is the last product that i need to test, to see where i get the best results.

Well my Question: I am tryin' to make a "Test" Character. I am drawing Homer Simpson (xD) from the Serie: The Simpsons.

Now there i have 2 Questions:

1.Is the Serie a 2D or 3D Serie now ? if the Characters rotate in the Serie, it looks little like 3D. But after the Characters stop, and just talkin' etc. they look ONLY 2D what confuses me.

And if its 2D: Is adobe animate the best choice ?

And if its 3D: is adobe animate still the best choice ?

2.Where should i start drawing my Character ? My goal is: Making a Character, then let it walk (i want to see if i can really "Move" the Legs,Arms etc. PERFECT with adobe animate) and i dont know if i get the best results if i draw my Character in Photoshop, or in animate and animate it in animate.

Ps. I would try adobe "character animator" too.I have a great camera and i just want to check how it would be, so: Do you recommend it me use character animator ? do i save more time if i use character animator with my camera to animate my character ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

1. The only way you can use the head you've drawn in Animate CC in Character Animator (which is in After Effects) would be to copy/paste what you've drawn into either a Photoshop or Illustrator puppet template for Character Animator. Use Character Animator if you want to make your animation based on motion capture from your webcam.

2. To make Homer move around in Animate CC, you would create the frames to make him move. You can add bones if you want to move parts of him around that way, but if yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe animate isn't a 3d animation tool.  it can be used for 3d animations but you won't be creating any 3d animations in adobe animate.

you can animate 2d objects in 3d space (easily) in adobe animate, but that's not the same as animating 3d objects in 3d space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Good to know.

So, is the simpsons now a 2D or 3D Serie ?

There are scenes most times where we see as example: Homer Simpson, where he rotates in 3D to turn back to open the door behind him and leave the home.

That confuses me.

Can i get the same results in animate in my own Series like the simpsons ?

and dont forgot my second question (Photoshop or Animate for creating a Character and animating it in animate)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, check out this Picture @ALL (I hope the Picture has nothing with Copyright etc. to do...i made it by my self in just 3min!): Homer.png

I made a good Job i see.

1. I just made the Head for now. How can i use this in Character Animator ? i draw it in Adobe Animate but only the Head like i said.

2. One IMPORTANT Question: Lets say i made now the Body (just imagine that) and the Legs too. And lets say Behind Homer is a Door.

As you see in the Picture, Homer is watching to the Left. Now i want that he turns BACK and walks in front of the "Stage" (From his view we would say its his back, right ?) to open a Door (imagine there is a Door).

How i would do that ? Is Adobe Animate able to "rotate/turn" my Character ?

ofc i know i can make frames and move my Character. But i guess i can move my Character only to Left/Right, am i right ? or can i make a Animation where Homer is watching left, then turns back to open a Door behind him and go trough it  ? That i need to draw a Scene B after Homer left the Door is aware.

3.Is the Original Serie now 2D or 3D ? I have my own Plans, i want to do my own Characters, story etc. but in a Dimensional like The Simpsons. So i need to know if i need a 3D or 2D Tool. If 2D then, adobe Animate is enough and Character Animator and maybe Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

character animator is an after effects tool, not an adobe aniimate tool.  you should post in the after effects forum for answers to your character animator quesdtions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright.

So now the only Question is, how i make able that my Character can Rotates Front/Back too than only Left/right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again, adobe animate is NOT a 3d program.  your 2day drawing is not going to be converted to a 3d object by adobe animate.

you can rotate your 2d object in 3d space in animate and see the results.  that might demonstrate animate better than my words.

apply a tween to your character and apply a rotationY.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to use frame by frame animation, like this: 2D Animation - How to Draw a Character Turnaround - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for the answers.

Yeah i got it that Adobe Animate is a 2D Programm. But is the Serie Simpsons 2D official or is it 3D ? its the last Question .

If its 3D, i buy maybe Cinema4D or something..If 2D, then i can keep working with Animate + After Effects + Photoshop, and i will buy this 3 Tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting article on how the Simpsons is made. It uses old school 2D drawing:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/25/9457247/the-simpsons-al-jean-interview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uhhhh, so they DRAW on Paper ? really ?

They need to draw like 24 Papers full, for ONE Second (24 Frames), and i guess this takes really long until they finish ONE Episode (They need all the time to REDRAW the whole Characters, frame for frame....i think Adobe is the best choice now, because its 2D right ? and the Simpsons are 2D too, just on Paper haha).

Big thanks. Adobe is really much easier to learn, than C4D. I dont know how to make a Character there lol. I can do a Bike, car, house with furnitures,rooms etc. but not a Character, its so complicated.

In Adobe i need to paint, but i cant paint... i cant even paint a Stick Man. I made my Project from the Picture trough a Scene of the Serie, that i sceenshoted and used in Adobe Animate as a Background to paint homer towards trough the background XD.

After i bought Adobe, i need really to figure out how i get creative (sounds weird, but like i said, i cant even draw a stick man.Not even a House trough rectangles...) to make my Characters "Real" (draw them from my head / imagine to Adobe Animate).

But it was interessting after i used a screenshot of the Simpsons serie as a background in adobe animate to see how i have to draw this (because the steps whille drawing was very useful and interesting for me)

ps. Yeah i know there are 2 replys with 2 video Links from YT. I checked the one out and watched it full (it was 4min), but the other link was 1 hour, so i will watch the whole Tutorial tomorow ❤️ (sounds very very interesting and big thanks to myra ferguson)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might help for you to see how an animator puts an animation together in Animate CC. Chris Georgenes, the person in the video I sent earlier, will be live streaming tonight on the Adobe Channel on Twitch from 6-9 PM EST., and you can ask questions as he goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I LOVE YOU MYRA, THANKS!

I have twitch (I am a streamer + lets player on YT + twitch) and i will be on his stream 100% !!!. Didn't know him *_*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. The only way you can use the head you've drawn in Animate CC in Character Animator (which is in After Effects) would be to copy/paste what you've drawn into either a Photoshop or Illustrator puppet template for Character Animator. Use Character Animator if you want to make your animation based on motion capture from your webcam.

2. To make Homer move around in Animate CC, you would create the frames to make him move. You can add bones if you want to move parts of him around that way, but if you want to change his angle from the camera you need to create those frames. Check out how to do that with what's known as the 2.5D technique Adobe Flash Character Design & Animation - YouTube.

3. Animate CC is a 2D program in which you can fake 3D to some extent. The Simpsons is created in 2D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines