• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My new Sony RX100 V is not (yet) supported by the DNR Converter.

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to shoot RAW with my new camera. LR won't accept the files and the DNR converter doesn't include my new camera yet.  Anything I can do other that shoot jpegs?

David

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

you can't shoot TIF files, you have to convert the RAWs to TIF

If you shoot RAW (and then convert to TIF) you get the benefits of RAW, which is primarily higher image quality after editing than you would get from a JPG of the same image. This is because RAW files capture the image at a higher bit depth per pixel (usually 12 or 14 bits) and thus you have more information to work with than a JPG, which is always 8 bits per pixel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct - support has not yet been added: Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Adobe will probably add it in the next release/update.

When? Only Adobe knows and they won't tell

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David

What I have been doing is to convert to tiff files with the Sony raw converter (Sony website) by first putting them into a folder on the desktop and then importing the tiffs into LR. The tiff files are 50mb but you can then dump them after the psds or jpegs are produced.

BTW Sony recommends Capture 1 express version for Sony but it also does not yet support the RX100V.

There is another raw converter by Iridium but the trial version produces watermarked results and the license is $99.

Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tiff files are 50mb but you can then dump them after the psds or jpegs are produced.

This doesn't really makes sense.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot in raw and quickly found that Adobe Lightroom and Phase One have no support for the RX100 V.  They both support older models, but not the V.  Adobe is aware of the issue but said they have no timetable to support.  So if you buy the most recent version of the RX100 and shoot in raw, you are not able to use 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scottn80672828 wrote:

I shoot in raw and quickly found that Adobe Lightroom and Phase One have no support for the RX100 V. They both support older models, but not the V. Adobe is aware of the issue but said they have no timetable to support. So if you buy the most recent version of the RX100 and shoot in raw, you are not able to use 😞

You can use the software that came with the camera to convert the RAW photos to TIF, and then import the TIF into Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what has already been said

Actually, this is not an issue. Due to the fact that camera manufacturers decide to sightly change the RAW file format for every new camera it is not possible for Adobe to create an import  that works for, let's say all Sony's.

In fact, Adobe is rather fast in releasing an update that includes support for the new models.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.  For this very amateur, why shoot tiff, rather than just use jpeg until the RAW converter comes out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can't shoot TIF files, you have to convert the RAWs to TIF

If you shoot RAW (and then convert to TIF) you get the benefits of RAW, which is primarily higher image quality after editing than you would get from a JPG of the same image. This is because RAW files capture the image at a higher bit depth per pixel (usually 12 or 14 bits) and thus you have more information to work with than a JPG, which is always 8 bits per pixel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to all.  I downloaded the Sony Image Converter, converted some sample RAW pictures from my new camera to TIFF, then edited the TIFF files in LR.  I then exported the 50MB TIFF files to my computer as 170KB jpegs.  Never would have gotten here without the help from this site.  Thanks much.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are only looking for a short-term solution. It might be days, it might be weeks. But eventually Lightroom and the DNG converter WILL support the camera. In the meantime, do what you need to do to satisfy your photography needs. It's your choice. There isn't anything any of us can do to resolve the issue. The update will eventually be released that supports your camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines