• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are my imported files missing?

Contributor ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported 52 files from an sd card. The files all show up in the previous import catalog file but they are listed as missing. So-

Where did they import to?

Why are they now missing?

How do I locate them?

Thank You

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos go missing in Lightroom because you renamed, moved or deleted the photos (or the folders that contain them) outside of Lightroom. HINT: don't do this any more.

To fix this, if you moved the photos, then move them back. Other wise, you can follow these instructions to reconnect missing photos in Lightroom: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, forgive me if this is very elementary, but what happened is my F drive apparently ejected after import.

So what confuses me is, after I import from the sd card reader, (f Drive). why does it need to be there anymore to display/edit the files?

And again, where did they import to?

I didn't move or change anything after import.

Basically it's saying- you imported from your card reader, now it's ejected, so the files are now missing???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the drive the photos are stored on is not connected, the photos will also show as missing. You can't edit the files if Lightroom can't find them.

The photos imported to whatever location you told Lightroom to import them to. This is set by the options in the Import dialog box. Please watch this tutorial. Easily import photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you imported files from a card reader using Lightroom's default settings, the images would have been copied to your Pictures folder. I'm not sure why they are now missing though. The pictures folder is on the startup drive, and it doesn't sound like you moved or renamed anything. What OS are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for your efforts dj_paige and Theresa J.

Here's what I have figured out-

My creative cloud app has been very unstable so I had to uninstall and reinstall it, and all of my apps. So, before I had imports set up to go to my external hard drive but, after reinstalling lightroom, I guess it didn't adhere to that setup.

But it did not go to my pictures and I still haven't found where it imported to.

So my solution, I guess, is to re-import with the destination set to where I want it to go and hope everything works out.

Thanks Again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now 2 different computers are saying the sd card is corrupted and needs to be reformatted. If I'm unable to find out where the import went on the last attempt I guess I've lost it all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom will tell you where the photos are. You find the photos in Lightroom, and then you can right-click on the photo and select Show in Finder (mac) or Show in Explorer (Windows)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the message I get when I click on the photo in previous import and select show in explorer.

F:\ is the sd cardlightroom.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, somehow you imported the photo into Lightroom using the ADD option, and Lightroom wants to find the photos on the F: drive. If the F: drive is not present, your photos are missing.

A better solution is to Import the photos to one of your hard disks, using the COPY option. Then you won't run into this problem.

To fix the current problem, you have to re-connect the SD card, and then in Lightroom move the photos to some hard disk location. (Or delete these photos from Lightroom and re-import using COPY).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Again Dj but, as I mentioned in a previous post, when I reinserted the sd card to try to import again I got "sd card is unreadable and needs to be reformatted"

So I put it into my laptop and got the same message. Then I inserted it back into the camera and again got "sd card unreadable. reformat with camera?"

So I reformatted and wiped out the card.

The problem started when I reloaded Lightroom after having creative cloud issues and didn't think to check the import settings.

How the card got corrupted I have no idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I guess these photos are no longer available. The missing file problem cannot be fixed.

I wouldn't use that card again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something that you wrote in one of your previous messages confuses me. You indicated that the F Drive was ejected after the import. Is the F Drive the SD  card, or is it a hard drive?  What did you choose as the destination for the images in the import dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the slow response Jim. Yes the F drive was the sd card.

The destination for the import was to my external hard drive and I checked the specified folder and there was only 1 file there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This same exact thing just happened to me! I imported to LRc directly from my cf express card, and when it ejected after import, all the files showed up as missing. I didn't move or rename the files at all. 

I figured I'd try to import again, but the card was corrupted. 

It seems to me LRc encountered an error at import, did not save the images to the hard drive as it was supposed to, and corrupted my card. 

Very frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines