• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Headers skipping first page of Chapter

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been desperately trying to figure out how to make my headers skip the first page of a chapter. My chapters do NOT have titles so a Running Header won't work. My left header is the Author's name, the right header is the Book title.

How do I format the headers so they do not appear on the first page of each chapter?

Thanks,

Doc Adams

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

The best way is to apply a different master page to chapter openings.

Make 2 master pages: one with running headers, one without. Apply the one without to all your chapter openings.

You could also try to mask the running header on the chapter opening with an anchored object that is anchored to the chapter title, but that's a kludge...

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way is to apply a different master page to chapter openings.

Make 2 master pages: one with running headers, one without. Apply the one without to all your chapter openings.

You could also try to mask the running header on the chapter opening with an anchored object that is anchored to the chapter title, but that's a kludge...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just select the running headers you want to remove using ctrl/cmd + shift and then delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems very simple. I'll give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you can use this technique to delete the folios you may not want to appear in the front matter (for example).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm here!

You could take a look at:

Simple Layout - YouTube

One master double page and a "Chapter" para style (see pages 1, 3, 7, 15 & 23.

No current header on these pages! … and no anchored frame as "mask"!

Nothing to do, just … totally automatic! 

How?  2 simple para rules!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID gives you basically a simple way to do it!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oups! I've forgotten! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

My method is to set the para style of the chapter header:

Paragraph rules - Rule above

with 'Rule on' checked,

'Color' is set to 'Paper',

and 'Weight' and 'Offset' and 'Indents' set in a way that it would exactly cover the header of that page.

Master Obi-wan, was it your trick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

As I said, I use 2 para rules: a rule above to vertically move the Chapter title and a rule below to mask the header!

I can do it in 1 click because I've written a script to calculate the y-offset of the last line of the "Chapter title" para!

In the video, I use one single script that includes all the layout steps, especially this one that defines the beginning of the page following the first Chapter page!

… but, of course, if I don't need to vertically move the Chapter title, I could use the same way you propose! … 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines