• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I place a PDF into ID, content is missing.

Enthusiast ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing name badges. When I open the PDF, there are 19 badges with names and 10 without names. When I load the cursor and place into my ID template (printing 3up), all the badges have no names. Any idea why this is? See attached. The name and affiliation boxes, when placed into indesign, are all blank. I have 29 badges without names and affiliation content.

2016-11-15_16-31-32.jpeg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Thanks, Steve!

If you Flatten the Comments, they won't be comments.

Here is a blog from Rick Borstein. I have used this for many years in many versions of Acrobat Pro.

http://blogs.adobe.com/acrolaw/2011/02/flatten-form-fields-and-comment-using-a-free-acrobat-x-action/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is the way it view on screen in InDesign? Turn on View > Overprint Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How was the text entered? Form field? Comment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane: I was provided PDF from client.

Steve: Turning on Overprint Preview didn't help.

I have a 10-page PDF where every page looks like this.

2016-11-15_17-22-54.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Steve's method first, as it is easy.

If you open the PDF in Acrobat Pro, you should be able to see how it was entered. I was wondering if running the Flatten Action would fix it. Do it on a copy. Flattening converts it to regular text, but there is no going back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put overprint on and off several times and it looks the same.

I have it open on my desktop. What exactly am I looking for to tell how content was entered?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file so we could look at it? You could post it on Dropbox or a similar service and post a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane hit the target: It doesn't work because the type for the names are made up of Comments: Comments in a PDF file are not seen when you place them into InDesign. You can see below:

Acrobat Pro013.png

Comments are not real printable type. They are only useful for...making comments on a PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Steve!

If you Flatten the Comments, they won't be comments.

Here is a blog from Rick Borstein. I have used this for many years in many versions of Acrobat Pro.

http://blogs.adobe.com/acrolaw/2011/02/flatten-form-fields-and-comment-using-a-free-acrobat-x-action...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A font called rajdhani was used. I'm going to try opening on my PC partition to see what happens when I place into ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help. The action worked perfectly. Job is printed and delivered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hooray! Glad it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines