• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there anyway to remove or change the background in Adobe Sketch?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2016 Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyway to remove or change the background in Adobe Sketch?

I've just saved my image as a PNG and then opened it in Photoshop, but there is a cream coloured background to the image... How can I change this to make it a transparent or white background? Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2016 Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sorrel.

Did you save to the Sketch art to your camera roll? If that's what you did, try this instead:

In the open canvas, tap the Share icon (square with an arrow) in the top nav, then choose Copy to Clipboard instead of Save Image. That should place a transparent .png image on the clipboard. Paste it in Notes (or some other app). Then open that version in Ps. It should have a transparent background.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Sue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sue,

Am attempting to create transparent background from Sketch, following instructions you gave to Sorrel, using image layer, transformed to sketch layer, edited out background, then shared to clipboard, pasted into notes and then saved to photos on my ipad. Unfortunately, I get a PNG with a white background, not a transparency. What am I doing wrong? Really appreciate the help!

Nicola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nicola.

The bad news is that was bad information: I was writing about Sketch (not possible), but thinking about Draw (possible).

The good news is: In the current version of Sketch (v4.0) it's possible to turn off the background layer and easily save an image without it.

Try this:

Open a drawing.

The bottom-most layer is a default layer titled Background Layer.

Tap on it.

Then do a quick double-tap on it. You'll notice that the canvas has a checkerboard pattern and the layer has an eye icon over it with a slash through it.

That means the background layer will be transparent when you save.

Give it a try and let me know if you have trouble.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh how cool, thank you, Sue! Now, another related question. I have a pic measuring 2788 x2788, taken with my ipad. When I go to Sketch, I now have to pic a specific size, all of which are smaller. Is there anyway to just upload the image as is, without picking specific size?

Thanks. This is terrific info and so helpful for me with selling my art.

Cheerios,

Nicola,

Novelist & Chocoholic Artist. Website: nicolafurlong.com

Buy my art on clothing, phone / tablet cases, home decor & more! nicolafurlong.redbubble.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicola.

I think all you want to make sure to do is choose a document with the same ratio...  a square. Once it's imported you can make it larger or smaller on the Image Layer. At some point in a future update we'll enable people to specify canvas size.

When you export it to a .psd you won't lose much resolution... I think the max size for square art is 2700 x 2700.

Give it a try.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Sue. Okay, but how do I make it larger on the image layer? If I pinch it up, it only goes as large as the sketch box. Is this what you mean? I can only get 2028x 2742 before I lose some of the image (i.e., it's cut off) when saved, whereas my original upload is 3300x3500.

Sorry to be a pain. Greatly appreciate your help!

Cheerios,

Nicola,

Buy my art on clothing, phone / tablet cases, home decor & more! nicolafurlong.redbubble.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicola.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. Yes, you're going to be limited to the largest canvas size when importing a photo.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, too bad there isn't a 'custom' size. Thanks as always for your prompt help!

Cheerios,

Nicola,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicola.

There will be... I just don't have a timeframe for it.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you!

Cheerios,

Nicola,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't seem to work on Android. Making the base layer hidden, still exports with a yellowy tinge background. Also, there's no copy to clipboard option in android so that trick is out too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Travis.

Sketch for Android is still quite new, so there are definitely still some features in iOS version still "missing" (including copy to clipboard and the ability to create a transparent background) from the Android version; the product team, however, is shooting for feature parity with the iOS version.

You can, however, change the background color by coloring the bottom-most layer with your desired background color, then creating a new drawing layer on top of it and drawing on that.

Don't know if that helps but keep an eye on Sketch for Android updates in the coming year.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also export Your artwork as .PSD and open it in Photoshop. It will consist of a background layer and Your artwork. Delete or hide the background layer. That leaves You with the transparent artwork (if it has transparent areas )

Marin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines