Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR CC slows in library selection

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

when i go through 1 by 1 each image for flagging/rating, i can rapidly go through the first 50 images (spending approx 1 second on each image) with instant rendering, but then it will start to slow, every 5th or so image it will need to load, then it will start to do it on every image.

im running a 12 month old MBP 15" i5 quad core, 16g ram with 512 SSD

Ive got smart previews on
GPU off (have done this recently, and havent noticed a difference)

25gb for the cache

under import settings; standard preview size 2048 pixles
medium quality
at the end of last year i began using USB 3 portable hard drives to work off with no noticeable performance issues. (until about a month ago)
although i did recently upgrade to a hybrid powered drive thinking this may help, it has not

i have tested selection process straight of the internal SSD, same slow performance issues

what else can i do?

Thanks
Ben

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Metadata panel on the right of Library, make sure you've selected the Default tagset:

Many versions ago, there was a bug where Library operations would slow down quite a bit if you had anything other than Default selected.  It was fixed, but perhaps there's another variant of the bug affecting you.

Also, make sure face detection is paused:

but then it will start to slow, every 5th or so image it will need to load

Select all photos and do Library > Previews > Build Standard-Sized Previews.  Wait until it finishes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi John, thanks for your reply, i was already on default and face detection was paused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you see "Loading," that means Lightroom is generating a preview.

It's often the case for me, after importing a large number of images from my camera card, I start flipping through my images rating and picking. Lightroom is working in the background, building previews, but I scan through the images faster than Lightroom's preview-building operation and will get past the point where Lightroom is working, and start seeing "Loading."

When Lightroom is building the previews, you see a status bar in the upper left - if LR is still building previews, wait for it to complete and you won't see the "Loading" and experience the lag.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, have built the previews and its still happening

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some other things to try:

1. Do File > Optimize Catalog.

2. Exit LR and delete the "catalog Previews.lrdata" file in the catalog folder (where all the previews are stored).  (Make sure you don't delete catalog.lrcat!)  Then in LR, do Library > Previews > Build Standard-Sized Previews.  Wait until it finishes (a long time for large catalogs).  Very rarely, the previews database has been reported to get corrupted.

3. Export a copy of your catalog by doing File > Export As Catalog, and don't select any of the options at the bottom of the Export As Catalog window.  When you open the new catalog, do Library > Previews > Build Standard-Sized Previews and wait a long time until the previews are rebuilt (yet again).  This method sometimes eliminates inconsistencies that have accumulated in the original catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i go through 1 by 1 each image for flagging/rating, i can rapidly go through the first 50 images (spending approx 1 second on each image) with instant rendering, but then it will start to slow, every 5th or so image it will need to load, then it will start to do it on every image.

Also, when this happens, are you in Loupe view or grid view in the Library?   Does the problem happen in both views?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im always using loupe, but just checked the problem on the grid view and viewing at the largest icon, it still loaded, but a bit quicker then in loupe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Catalog preview is 107 GB
and my catalog is 150 000 images

in 2016, is catalog size really a factor thats going to slow it down ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

in 2016, is catalog size really a factor thats going to slow it down

Many people have reported that LR works well with catalogs of more than 500K images.  In general, the number of images in a catalog does not affect LR performance: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-performance-debunking-myths/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines