• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit Original - Pencil Icon

Advocate ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since upgrading to 2017 clicking the pencil icon now only opens the Windows 10 native photo viewer "Photos" for jpegs pngs and tiffs. It used to open Photoshop. Searching this in Google or these forums only results in the advice that I have to reset the associations in the OS. That's just stupid. Why would I want to do that - why should I have to open Photoshop every time I just want to view a photo? Ridiculous. Surely Adobe does NOT expect its users to suffer so. So how do we set the EDIT default to open Photoshop from InDesign for these filetypes while retaining the OPEN default with the native viewer? If Adobe can make it so for Bridge, why can't it make it so in ID where it is actually more essential?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to set up in Windows on OS-level the default program which is targetted to each extension. Right mouse click in the Explorer, open with OTHER …, choose the correct application, click the option that will make it always to open with it and then open it. In the future, you will open it automatically with that program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I don't want to do. As I described above. I don't want to have to open Photoshop every time I just want to view pictures on my computer. It is the worst photo viewer ever. It is a magnificent image editor - not a photo viewer! (I thought I made it quite clear in my question. Maybe you just skimmed my post and didn't read it.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Bridge to view.

Viele Grüße

Willi Adelberger

Am 16.11.2016 um 09:41 schrieb dv8kiwi <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Adobe Community

Edit Original - Pencil Icon

Antwort von dv8kiwi in InDesign - Komplette Diskussion anzeigen

That is exactly what I don't want to do. As I described above. I don't want to have to open Photoshop every time I just want to view pictures on my computer. It is the worst photo viewer ever. It is a magnificent image editor - not a photo viewer!

Sie können auf diese Nachricht antworten, indem Sie diese E-Mail beantworten oder die Nachricht unter Adobe Community aufrufen

Starten Sie eine neue Diskussion in InDesign per E-Mail oder unter Adobe Community

Sie folgen Edit Original - Pencil Icon in diesen Aktivitätenlisten: Posteingang

Diese E-Mail wurde Ihnen von Adobe Community gesendet, da Sie ein registrierter Benutzer sind.

Sie können sich sofort von Adobe Community abmelden oder die E-Mail-Häufigkeit in Ihren Einstellungen anpassen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No thanks. That is not the solution I am looking for. Bridge is too slow to open. I just want to use the native viewer. It needs to be simple and user focused. It is not. If Bridge is able to open these extensions for editing in Photoshop while keeping the native viewer for opening the files generally then why can't ID do this? ID could even use whatever protocol is set up in Bridge. It is highly unsatisfactory the way it doesn't work at the moment. I'm really surprised you can't see this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click on the image on the page or in the Links pallet, and choose Edit with to open the image in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, yes I am aware of this, however I am wanting to just use the pencil icon in the links panel. I assume because of these responses that it can't be done. Which is unfortunate, as I find it the easiest way to work with PSD files, and it would likewise be good if it worked with other files in the same way. From a UX point of view I consider it defective. As I said, if Adobe can make files with particular extensions editable from Bridge, without changing the default "open" association in the OS, why can't they do it for InDesign? Is this not a fair question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines