• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Constant Crashes with InDesign 2017

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the update, InDesign has been crashing an average of 40+ times an hour. I'm now spending more time recovering than I am working. I am beyond frustrated and cannot figure this out.

The only thing I can find as a trigger is dealing with tables in almost any way. The document I'm laying out has over 400 tables - any time they move between columns or pages the program immediately crashes to desktop.

Can anyone help at all? I've felt like I've been shouting into a void and customer service has been utterly useless when they're not outright ignoring me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try unselecting the Type Contextual Controls at the bottom of the Advanced Type preference. This has caused crashes for some people:

InDesign CC127.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that, but it didn't make a lick of difference. The current problem:

I have a single text box with a couple of paragraphs that span columns. When I go to change it from 1 column to two columns, immediate freeze and I have to force close the program.

This also happens any time I touch a table now. Even selecting a table causes the damn thing to crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur. I'm pretty sure looking at the screen will make it crash. But it only happens when I actually open InDesign and try to use a command or click anywhere. Other than that, InDesign 2017 is perfect. Oh, wait . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues. When working in a table and I try to highlight a line to copy and paste again it freezes up.

I have tried replacing the preferences to default, I have uninstalled program and reinstalled ... nothing seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I did, and it seemed to work. Besides turning off the contextual controls in Preferences, I turned off contextual alternates and similar glyph-type selections in paragraph styles. I also saved my file as an IDML file, then reopened it in ID, then saved it with a new file name.

I haven't had many crashes/hangs since then, but I couldn't tell you which of the two additional steps made it stop, or if it was merely elves who moved on to haze someone else's computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ... I ended up reverting back to 2015's version. I couldn't

afford to waste any more time on it.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I do appreciate it!

Doug Link

Boise State Athletics, Asst. SID

Contact for: Volleyball, Women's Basketball, Men's Tennis and Beach

Volleyball

Office: 208-426-1027

Cell: 208-861-2796

Email: dlink@boisestate.edu

GO BRONCOS!!

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 6:28 AM, stealthmouse <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After working for only 20 minutes in the new version of ID 2017 and it constantly hanging, I decided to bin the whole thing and revert to ID2015. I can't take the risk of losing important work, especially when I'm laying out tables, and using tabs all day long for multiple magazine clients. Any ideas when ID 2017 will be stable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Really sorry seeing you face issues with InDesign.

Can you please send across the files so that we can have a look at them and try to resolve these issues asap.

Please email them to "sharewithid@adobe.com". Please try to keep the title of the mail to be same as this threads title.

Once again really sorry to see you face problems with such basic functions.

Javed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work around from CS6 days... When working with long docs using text frame object styles, vertical justification set at 'justify'. Before making any edits or changes to the file, change the vertical justification to 'top', make your edits, save file & then change that setting back to justify & cross your fingers. It's as if the composer gets overloaded. Crash would always occur if any paragraph styles had the 'span columns' in use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Consider reinstalling CC 2015 if these issues are impeding your workflow. Once it is resolved, you can return to CC 2017. The steps to reinstall 2015 are in the 2nd half of this post:

Adobe Creative Cloud: It’s Not Working After the Upgrade - Rocky Mountain Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines