Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving Presets from Lightroom Backup

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI guys

I backed up my catalogue recently but didn't think to save the presets as well. The good news is that all of my photos still contain any presets I had previously applied. Is there a way I can save all the presets I have applied to photos in my backup? I can see the presets applied in the history section but would like to have them all back in my Presets folder again. Any help is greatly appreciated, cheers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused. Has there been a step or two left out of your description? We know you made a backup of your catalog, you told us that.

Simply making a backup (the only step you have told us you performed) doesn't cause "I can see the presets applied in the history section but would like to have them all back in my Presets folder again"

Did you restore this catalog somewhere other than the usual location? What did you do after you made the backup of your catalog? What caused presets to be missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI DJ, thanks for helping.

I have my external HD plugged in and have all my photos available with all the presets I applied; however I am not getting any of the presets I had loading into my presets folder, just the ones that come with LR appear there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still doesn't explain the problem to me.

Making a backup and plugging in your external HD (the only two steps you have stated) will not cause presets to be missing from the presets folder.

There must be some other steps that you haven't stated. (And how does plugging in your external HD relate to the original problem?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reformatted my computer since I backed up my photos, and I never backed up my presets when I backed up the photos onto the external HD, and now when I plug in my external HD the photos appear with the old presets applied but do not show in my presets on the left.

In essence I would love to import the presets that are applied to the photos on my external HD.

I hope that helps explain things a little better. Cheers, Connor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that makes more sense.

Your preset files were lost when you reformatted the hard drive without backups of the presets.

Since you have the preset results in your catalog, you can recreate the preset files by:

Open an image in the Develop module.

In the edit history, select the entry that applied the preset.

In the Preset panel, create a new preset using the "current settings".

After you have recreated the preset files, that the preset folder tree to the backup commands you use. You already have your images being backed up, right? Note: besides the Develop presets, there are export preset, import presets, adjustment presets.... All need to have backups done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The LR Preset folder is located here, for Windows.

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

In that LR folder you will find all the presets and Templates for the different modules.

Just copy your backed up preset over to the proper folder in the Path listed above.

Presets are not stored with the catalog and do not get backed up with the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to start making full system backups. Both Windows and OS X have built in systems to do that and there are a few aftermarket software program available also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines