• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ordered New Hardware

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I have coming in a few days. Let me know any comments. I'm a hardcore Mac guy crossing to the PC world to do my video editing. New waters for me, I hope to never look back. Apple is just not cutting it anymore for high level editing.

• Dell Precision Tower 7910 XL XCTO (Win 10 Pro 64 English)
  • Intel Xeon Processor E5-2609 v4 (8C, 1.7GHz, 1866MHz, 20MB, 85W)
  • 64GB (8x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 RDIMM
  • NVIDIA Quadro M6000 24GB (4 DP, DL-DVI-I) (2 DP to SL-DVI adapter)
  • C12-PCIE SSD boot plus 0-3 2.5" Matching SAS Hard
  • 1TB PCIe M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive (boot drive)-Class
  • 1TB PCIe M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive (add)-Class
  • Dell PCIe SSD Card - holds up to 4 x M.2 Solid State

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd go for a processor with a higher clock speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know they make a 2.2 and 3.1 Ghz 10 core. I'll see the price difference. Thanks Peru Bob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think puget said something like each 0.2 higher is like another core added. since the premiere optimization goes down after 8-10 cores, getting a low clock 24 core isn't gonna do anything. it'll be slowwwwww.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That processor is terrible.  It may be a 8 core but it is not Hyperthreadable so you do not get 16 threads our of it.  As Peru Bob said its clock speed is embarrassing low and also it has no capability for Turbo Boost.  This is reverse configuration spending five thousand of dollars on your GPU and I do not know what your "1TB PCIe M.2 NVMe" SSD's are but if they are any good they would be in the $600+ each price range and you have a lousy $300 CPU  which is the most important item. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with both Bill and Peru Bob. That configuration is severely imbalanced in terms of performance. Even with eight physical cores (without hyperthreading at all), the clock speed on that Xeon E5-2609 v4 is so low that it might as well perform slower than a quad-core consumer i5 CPU even in multithreaded situations. Couple that to the overkill GPU and disk system and you'll end up with the GPU and disk I/O waiting for the CPU to catch up.

In other words, your configuration is like buying a big monster pickup truck that's equipped with only a tiny engine that came from a Toyota Aygo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Randall

I just retuned my 8-core i7-5960X to 1.7 GHz and no hyperthreading and ran the CPU intensive benchmark  It came out to 830 seconds.  That is about the score of a antique second generation i7 like an i7-2600 that was new back in 2011.  My current score is 250 seconds.  As Harm would have said that would be like getting a 911 Porsche with a VW bug engine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it guys - i've already switched to the Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3 (10c, 3.1GHz, Turbo, HT, 25m, 160W). Due to work i'm stuck with the Dell box. This processor is the biggest they make for this case. Bill, sorry man... i don't buy that math. The M6000 will be a beast. I'll report back my clock times with I get this set up in a week or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's plausible. However, you do have to realize that not all renders are through the GPU. Instead, most renders in the real world are either CPU-only or a combination of mostly CPU with some GPU assistance. This is why we keep cautioning users that a monster GPU cannot compensate for a weakling CPU in most situations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brian,

I have a e5-2687w v3 and it's pretty awesome.

If I was ordering a new Dell today though, I'd choose the newer 14nm v4 variant of the 2687w. Street price is the same and it adds two more cores. The 14nm will allow the same TDP limit to do more work too. I know it's available off of Dell's USA site, but if you are in another country options could be different.

Regards,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim - this is what my IT guy is looking into for this beast:

Intel Xeon Processor E5-2687W v4 (12C, 3.0GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo, 2400MHz, 30MB, 160W)

I'm getting 4x Samsung 960 512mb Pro's as well. I'll convert a couple next year when the 1TB's are easily available.

I'm looking to get a couple very fast external hard drives - any recommendations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jim's dual e5-2687w v3 does considerably better on the CPU intensive benchmark than my single overclocked 8-core i7-5960X which does 250 seconds   He did 198 seconds with an earlier version (8.0) of Premiere.  The newest CC 2017 scores are better than earlier versions as Adobe tunes the code.  With your only one e5-2687w v4 I am guessing that you would probably get around 300 to 350 seconds which is good, but as you probably found out it is expensive, that CPU chip goes for over $2100 each where my i7-5960X chip which fits that same socket goes for just over $1000. Of course you have two sockets in that Dell so you can add another chip at any time you need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill! That result from a simulated low-end Xeon E5 CPU is slower than even my simulated i5-4690 (795 seconds), let alone an actual i5-6500 (790 seconds).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines