• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported file not caught by "Don't import suspected duplicates"

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I export a file (DNG to JPEG with all metadata) and then end up re-importing that file, it's not caught by "Don't import suspected duplicates". I think it should be. Can it be?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting a DNG file to a JPG file, whether or not you included all the metadata, makes a New File so the Don't import dups doesn't apply.

The DNG is one file and the JPG another. Doesn't matter what the content of the image is or the metadata. Two completely different files with different file extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a technical level, you are correct - you're assuming the setting actually means "don't import suspected duplicate files".

On a functional level, however, I'd rather than the setting mean "don't import suspected duplicate photos". This is both technically possible and more useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jessedub wrote:

On a technical level, you are correct - you're assuming the setting actually means "don't import suspected duplicate files".

On a functional level, however, I'd rather than the setting mean "don't import suspected duplicate photos". This is both technically possible and more useful.

Not really. On all levels I am correct.

A duplicate file is a file with the same name and extension. If you tried to Re-Import the original DNG file, like maybe you copied it to another folder on purpose or by accident, then the Don't Import Suspected Duplicates would apply.

When I export RAW files to JPG I want them in the catalog. In fact I have it set to "Included in this Catalog" and "Stack with Original" checked for just that reason. If I didn't I wouldn't know which files I had exported. I also have it set to import any file I send to PS.

With your thinking none of them would ever get imported into the LR catalog file and that goes against how LR is intended to work.

All images in one database system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Clearly the way it works now is best for you.

Also, clearly, it would be better for my workflow if it worked differentry.

Lightroom absolutely has the potential to satisfy both requirements, even if my workflow offends your sensibilities.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines