• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 The selected file cannot be linked because its type (audio) does not match the original file's t

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I have been working on a very large project using CS5 on my desktop computer. Now I am on the road and bought a laptop so that I can continue to work. I placed all of my assets on a back-up external 2tb drive (which I was able to open without incident on my desktop). I installed CS5 on my new laptop and now when I try to open the project I get the following message "The selected file cannot be linked because its type (audio) does not match the original file's type (audio and video)". This message appears before I indicate the path to any of the assets. Then, when I do indicate the path to each asset, I get the same message for individual files.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2011 Aug 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely it's because the files use a video codec that was installed on your desktop, but is missing from your Laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

I have several different files types (.mov, .avi, .jpeg...) in the project and I can't believe that it is simply the codecs....I even get this message when trying to link to jpegs in the project...

This issue is driving me crazy, so if you have any more potential solutions, I would love to hear them!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, no.  That's the only reason I've ever encountered this error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem so I'm bringing this old topic up again.

If anyone can help or knows a solution, that would make me a happy man!

The only other option that occurs to me now, is re-editing the whole thing again.

And that's an option I don't quite like

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2012 Jun 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem and have found a solution / workaround:  my issue was when trying to open a cs5 project that had been collected on mac and then transfered to pc, my footage was all png image sequences but this will hopefully work in other situations...

Open the project and cancel the first dialogue box that pops up where you get the "file cannot be linked" error when trying to reconnect footage.  The project will open and then in the project panel, right click on any footage that needs reconnected and choose "Replace footage..." this will open a dialog that will allow you to select the file that gave you the error in the first place without any issues.  Any sequences with that footage will now work and everything show be all good. 

You may experience "Offline material is present in this export and will be encoded using the offline media graphic" on first export but apparently you can just ingore that, but i guess it's woth testing a few short sections before commiting to a huge render...

This workaround isn't perfect as i had about 50 pieces of footage i had to relink via this method one by one but at least it saved redoing the edit which was critical for my project...

good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this exact error. In my case I had put my CS5.5 project from a Mac and transfered it to a PC laptop running CS6. When attempting to re-link a file, I get "The selected file cannot be linked because its type (audio) does not match the original file's type (audio and video)".

The solution for me in this case was to change the file type to the grouping with ".mov" because the footage I was linking was a .mov. It was then able to link all the files. It seemed to link all my jpegs too.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2013 Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install Quick Time Player/Plug-in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem today!

and now is solved! install the quicktime, and it will run normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I had this problem with premiere CC 2017. I tried everything and none of it worked, then I found this video. It's super simple, you just have to rename a folder. Hope it helps!

Solution: No Audio after update? Premiere Pro CC Import Issue Fix! | Film Learnin - YouTube

-----------

My youtube vlog channel: youtube.com/joshevideo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and it was driving me crazy...

I found a solution that worked... I just copied the files that are not being able to be located into the desktop and located them from there. It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this problem yesterday after updating to the most recent version of premiere pro-- 12.1.1

I called technical support and they said to upload an older version of adobe PPro-- anything other than 12.1.1.

They also said make sure not to save the premiere project that had the errors.

Unfortunately, I already had saved the project previous to my call to tech support.

My workaround- I had to hook up my backup drive to my computer and link my media to the backup drive files. So essentially I have to have both hard drives connected to my computer during the edit of that project.

My plan when I have more time is to recopy the files to a different location and relink media that way. Hope this helps. This is really a pain. 

DO NOT UPDATE TO 12.1.1 until they find a solution to this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had this issue (same folder structure, different drive) and half my footage wouldn't relink. Created a new folder in my Premiere File and remiported all my footage there. Then I closed the project and reopened. All my footage relinked just fine, and could then delete the duplicate footage folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines