• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export indesign linked files as pdf files?

Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to export all linked files in an indesign document as a pdf at the size they are in Indesign?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two steps for your task:

1. Do package, and than you will have all links in one folder

2. Do PDFs from all files by Acrobat Pro.CTRL+N in Acrobat and choose all your files.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if an icon is 5mm in Illustrator and scaled to 3mm - when I make the PDF it's 5mm not 3mm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi..

You can do this with Scripting.. please move the question to Indesign Scripting forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for asking, but, why you need this? You can relink your other image files to your converted PDFs in indd and your scaling in indd will be still applied to this icon.

Manage linked or embedded graphics in Adobe InDesign 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if an icon is 5mm in Illustrator and scaled to 3mm - when I make the PDF it's 5mm not 3mm.

Eugene, doesn't sound like you are trying to relink the image/PDFs back into ID right?

It wouldn't be that easy to do via scripting—the script would have to talk to Photoshop and consider all of the scalings, croppings, rotations, of both the image and its parent frame.

If you export the entire document to PDF (X-4 with no compression or downsample would leave all the images unchanged), you could then export all the document images via Acrobat DC and they would have the InDesign crops and resolution. From there you could batch them to PDF in Photoshop. From AcrobatPro it would be Tools>Export PDF>Export All images

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 8.24.15 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed you are trying to extract AI files not images right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene,

could you describe in more details what you are up to?

Would you like to export the container (plus the image) on the page that holds the image to PDF?

And if the container is rotated, has an effect applied like a drop shadow or is decorated with a stroke, would you like that to be in your exported PDF? Or just the (maybe cropped) image, rotated if it is rotated, skewed, if it is skewed but without showing the container's decoration? How about images in arbitrary shaped graphic frames? Should the container crop the image?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's to take a layout and deploy to the web for a web to print solution. the only file format the deployment accepts is PDF for vector items. I was looking to get all links exported to PDF format at their placed size in indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the only file format the deployment accepts is PDF for vector items. I was looking to get all links exported to PDF format at their placed size in indesign.

Right, so exporting from an exported PDF won't work.

I could imagine a fairly simple script, which would find each vector's parent frame, copy it along with the placed art, make a new doc to the frame's dimensions, paste at 0,0 x,y and export that to PDF/X-4.

I think you are on Windows right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment I'm on Mac - but the web deployment software is PC only, so I will be moving to PC very soon I reckon.

What you have said so far is absolutely 100% correct. It's probably exactly what I need, plus for the filename of the exported pdf to match the file name of the linked image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene,

FWIW maybe the deployment software is converting vector PDFs to SVG downstream?

Should the name of an exported PDF be compatible with HTML?
Or better asked: Are there characters, that of the named images that should be converted?
Like "(" and ")" to e.g. %28 and %29 respectively?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At the moment I'm on Mac

A simple scripting idea would be to loop thru the document, find the vector graphics, copy, make a new document to the frame's size, paste, and export that to PDF. This could also be done via JS. Here's an AppleScript annotated. I don't have any error handling, so it might break, but it worked for some simple tests.

Here's a compiled version:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/ExportGraphic.zip

--------------------------------------

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

--check for vector graphics

set ctest to {PDF, EPS}

--ask for export folder

set fPath to (choose folder with prompt "Please select an Export Destination") as string

--loop thru all graphics

repeat with x in all graphics of active document

--get PDF or EPS

if class of x is in ctest then

--export path with link name

set n to name of item link of x

set myPath to fPath & n & ".pdf"

--the graphic's frame

set f to parent of x

--get the frame's width and height

set {a, b, c, d} to geometric bounds of f

set gw to d - b

set gh to c - a

--copy the art

set selection to f

copy

--makes a new document with no margins to the frame's width and height

my exportGraphic(gw, gh)

--paste, export and close

paste

set view PDF of PDF export preferences to false

export document 1 format PDF type to myPath using PDF export preset "[PDF/X-4:2008]"

tell active document

close saving no

end tell

end if

end repeat

end tell

on exportGraphic(w, h)

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

--get the document's color preferences and make a new doc with same

set doc to active document

--set the margins to zero

set properties of margin preferences to {bottom:0.0, left:0.0, right:0.0, top:0.0}

set expdoc to make new document with properties {view preferences:properties of view preferences of doc, CMYK policy:CMYK policy of doc, RGB policy:RGB policy of doc, after blending intent:after blending intent of doc, solid color intent:solid color intent of doc, RGB profile:RGB profile of doc, accurate LAB spots:accurate LAB spots of doc, document preferences:properties of document preferences of doc}

--set the page size

tell active document

set page width of document preferences to w

set page height of document preferences to h

end tell

end tell

end exportGraphic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines