Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2017 problem with paragraph windows

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After upgrading to InDesign CC 2017 Mac Sierra, we are having a problem with the paragraph window.

After marking a tekst paragraph that needs an indent, then choosing the paragraph window marking the left indent, entering the number 3, the
focus shifts back to the tekst paragraph and replaces my tekst with the number 3.

That is not how the program normally works!

It seems as InDesign has a problem with where the focus is.

Anybody having a solution to my problem????

Finn Bonnesen

TEKNIQ

Denmark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

pl2017 Did you try disabling Type Contextual Controls in the meantime?

InDesign CCss_024.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Finn,

We are aware about the issue you have mentioned and it is getting investigated.

As a workaround, you can turn OFF the "Show Adornment on Text Selection/Text Frame for more Type controls" preference from the Advanced Type Preferences.

Let us know if you need any further help around this.

Regards

Pragya Kandari

InDesign Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I upgraded to the cc2017 indesign version but there are problems with the paragraph box. So ... I select a text .... then in paragraph window write a value that I want to change ... but as I press the "ENTER" key the selected text is deleted and in its place is written the number I had written in the window! The problem is very serious!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is very serious!

Yes, it is, and as per the response above from Adobe Staff member, Pragya Kandari, Adobe is aware of the issue and is working on it. In the meantime, I would suggest using either the arrows to the left of the text values in the Paragraph panel, or ¶ view of the Control panel.

InDesign CCss_020.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Hope it gets resolved soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pl2017 Did you try disabling Type Contextual Controls in the meantime?

InDesign CCss_024.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great ... thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Pragya for the workaround that works. I am running El Capitan also, for everyone's reference. However I can't help but also agree with OL_Tonic's comment from December 18 which I paste here:

The work around seems to work so far. (turn off 'show adornment in advanced type). Why does Adobe feel it necessary to keep clogging the software with additions and updates, when it is affecting the basic functions of the software. just want to get my work done!!

There are countless users out there who are going to get angry and frustrated in trying to make simple changes/adjustments, along with being pressed for time, before doing a proper search as I did to fix this problem. Please, Adobe staff, in future be mindful to not mess up the simple things as you go ahead with your add-ons to products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

A solution for this issue is provided at Troubleshoot text selection issues. Please try the steps mentioned in the link.

Also, let me know of your feedback.

Thanks,

Monica Singh

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error... Plugin is from an identified developer. However, it does seem to solve the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I did what you said with the copyplugin that I downloaded from the link that you put but it did not work at all, I also did everything that in this forum is posted but didn't work either. 

I NEED please this problem solved I can't do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try disabling the Type Contextual Controls in Preferences > Advanced Type?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - the plugin worked for me.

Has this fix been applied to the latest version of InDesign as downloaded through creative cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, huge problem with this not working properly. The workout turning off preferences works for now. Using the up/down arrows works sometimes. Please fix asap!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC 2017 not being able to identify that the paragraph text pallet has been activated by my mouse click is very serious! Approved copyrighted text can be deleted or changed while formatting it!! We as a business use Adobe InDesign all day. A FIX IS NEEDED - and FAST!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely true, bretth28998244. In the meantime, did you try disabling Type Contextual Controls so that you can get your work done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this is a very high priority for Adobe. Any designer worth their salt uses Paragraph spacing like we use em dashes and en dashes. It is critical to our work. I cannot tell you how much time this cost me on a recent project, and how risky it was that I could accidentally completely replace my text with something like "0p3". This is a very serious issue, and it's astonishing to me that it wasn't tested before this version was released. Adobe is charging us a fortune each month, most of us solo freelancers for whom the Creative Cloud fees are financially back-breaking. We deserve a thoroughly vetted product. Adobe should be embarrassed that something as basic as the Paragraph palette has such a fundamental flaw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greenpoint​:

Thank you for your feedback. I know that Adobe has acknowledged this as an issue, and is working on it. In the meantime, did you try disabling the Type Contextual Controls? For many people, this solves the issue. I think the Contextual Controls are cool (and they work fine on my system) but not using them until this is worked out isn't a deal breaker for most of us. We still have the glyphs panel to access those characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the workaround. I just installed the Indesign upgrade (I usually wait so I don't have problems with bugs - looks like I didnt wait long enough for this one). I am NOT running Sierra and I still had this issue. A little disconcerting to hear that this has been going on since November - but the fix worked for me for now. Using the little arrows was going to add considerable time to each project.

Thanks again for the detailed workaround including screen shots. Got me up and running quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The work around seems to work so far. (turn off 'show adornment in advanced type). Why does Adobe feel it necessary to keep clogging the software with additions and updates, when it is affecting the basic functions of the software. just want to get my work done!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Insane issue. I am more particular then using the up and down arrows and am not going to spend all day when i know exactly what i want. Don't release upgrades if you can't have the simple functions work. Even with the "work around" you mentioned, there are still major issues with the cursor in that particular paragraph window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines