• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(Didn't) Add to Catalogue

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LR with just enough knowledge to accomplish the basics and today I went a step beyond.... I went through thousands of photos in order to export the ones I want to consider for a project into a new folder I created. So far, so good. What I failed to do, I now realize, is tick the box for Add to Catalogue so I, apparently, was exporting to my folder but not adding to the catalogue. The bottom line is that those photos I transferred are not in the folder I exported them to. Once I calmed down I exported one more with the Add to Catalogue box ticked and, sure enough, it worked fine. So, I know what I did wrong and won't do it again. What I want to know now is did I just waste five hours of work? What happened to all the files I exported to this specific folder (without adding them to the catalogue)? Surely they went somewhere. It would be a cruel trick if LR let me export for hours knowing that the photos weren't going anywhere because I hadn't ticked one box. Personally, I think the box ticking shouldn't be an option, it should be the default, if that's what it takes for the photos to go where you want them to go. HELP!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I want to know now is did I just waste five hours of work? What happened to all the files I exported to this specific folder (without adding them to the catalogue)?

This is pretty tough to diagnose sitting here across the Internet, we weren't looking over your shoulder and didn't see what you did. So all I can do is ask some more questions:

1. Are you sure you didn't get any photos in the folder you were trying to export to? Why are you sure? What did you do to confirm this?
  2. Did you double-check the export dialog box to find out what folder was selected? Are you sure you looked in that exact folder?
  3. Have you used you're operating system's search feature to search all hard disks for one of the exported photos by file name?

Personally, I think the idea of adding exported photos to your catalog is not necessary, and I think the default should be to not have the box checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding. I had just received another suggestion and it

worked: 'They are in that folder, but Lightroom doesn't show them yet.

They need to be imported first. You can do that by right-clicking the

folder in Lightroom, then choose 'Synchronize Folder'.'

This seems unnecessarily complicated when I compare it to the old ACDSee

file mgmt system I used before this but at least I have my photos and

don't have to duplicate my work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I probably don't understand your complete workflow. But why do you find it necessary to add the exported images to the catalog? I keep the master images in the catalog, but when I export images it is to share them on the web or e-mail them to someone. The exported image is just a copy. If you keep master images and copies in the catalog it seems to me that things  can become unnecessarily complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

jeffg28527173 wrote:

This seems unnecessarily complicated when I compare it to the old ACDSee

file mgmt system I used before this but at least I have my photos and

don't have to duplicate my work!

There is no doubt that Lightroom is different. This is a problem for some people, and it would be a good idea for you to watch some tutorials about how Lightroom works. Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

You would be wise to develop a workflow that is consistent with the way Lightroom works, instead of trying to use the same workflow that you used with ACDSee. We see people here in this and other forums who don't modify their workflow to the way Lightroom works, they insist on using the same workflow as before, and they use words like you did "unnecessarily complicated" and they are frustrated. Yet to me, the Lightroom workflow couldn't be any simpler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines