• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Perfect method for outer profile of a grouped artwork

Enthusiast ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made this effect in illustrator today (the one on the right). The shadowy rectangles are jpegs renders and the linework is pure vector pasted above the jpeg. However, I used the paint bucket tool for this composition to get the outer profile to make it thick then did the effect.

resutls.jpg

However, if I draw some rectangles in illustrator, do a grouping, apply a new stroke in the appearance panel, drag it down the contents name, I get the effect. This however wasn't happening in the first image scenario where I have lots of blocks, the new stroke applied to the group was getting applied to all the lines and not the outer profile which is my requirement. The lines of the cuboids and cubes are all strokes, simple strokes without any fill.

In the rectangular composition creation, I also met two conditions, one with contents option visible, a

with contetns.jpg

and one without.

no contents.jpg

I want the outer profile method to work every time. What should I do?

While making the outer lines as thick, I do a grouping

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

In the Pathfinder Options for 'Divide' the advanced option 'Divide and Outline Will Remove Unpainted Artwork' has to be turned off.

divide_options.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

arjun,

Have you tried to add the stroke at Layer level?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have all those lines in one layer. There is only one layer in the entire document. I am not sure what you are saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

arjun,

What I was (trying to be) saying was something like this:

1) In the Layers platte, click the Layer to select it with everything;

2) In the Appearance palette flyout click Add New Stroke and set it as desired, then drag it down beneath Contents in the main Appearance palette.

It should work on the one Layer, also if there are others in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This layer method doesn't work. I tried it. The new thick lineweight gets applied to all the lines in the artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

arjun,

And you did drag the new stroke down beneath the Contents in the Appearance palette?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That won't work, Jacob.

The overall construction requires some additional steps in this case.

You could just take the sample file and try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt,

I believe I overlooked crucial parts of the OP, and just threw together something simple as a (non) sample file. And then I missed posts #7 & 8 because I wrote post #12 on the Inbox page with its limited view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words: You sat back at the window and dreamt about some forthcoming snowflakes.

I'd prefer that as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Kurt.

We did get some, with whiteness for a week (in the shady farmyard).

https://forums.adobe.com/message/9124678?tstart=0#9124678

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Kurt. I assumed they were shapes instead of a collection of unconnected paths. Your method is the easiest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the cuboids one file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've uploaded a sample file that includes one (graphic style) way to do it.

stroke_around_cubes.ai.zip - Google Drive

AI CS5 format, ca. 100kb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is awesome!!! How did you make this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Jacob suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Larry, Jacob's suggestion won't work in that case.

It's a bit more tricky and you have to do a bit of pathfindering (see graphic style 'contour_line' in my sample file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt sir, please elaborate the steps, I did see the various components within the style but couldn't figure out your magical spell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain which part you didn't understand?

Basically, it's just a combination of three effects applied to an additional stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt Gold wrote:

Can you explain which part you didn't understand?

Basically, it's just a combination of three effects applied to an additional stroke.

I am unable to understand these effects and strokes that you have applied to make this amazing outside lining style. It feels as awesome as some kind of a plugin.

That's why I'm asking for  a step-by-step method .

hinzuf.jpgunterteil.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you already try and apply the pathfinder and the outline stroke effect exactly as in the example file?

It's just important that in the end you appearance panel looks the same and then it should just work. It doesn't matter in which order you selected the effects from the menu. You can reorder them later by dragging them around in the appearance panel.

There's only one exception: in case you're using CS6 there's a bug that keeps them from working when dragging them around in the panel in certain ways. It's kind of difficult to describe what doesn't work.

Which version do you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per your screenshots I guess it may be just an issue at the language level.

When you use an english version of Illustrator and open a file with appearance sets that were created in a non-english Illustrator version, some items in the Appearance palette are not being translated immediately by the application.

Usually it is sufficient to click them once in order to open their corresponding dialogs and hit the OK button. After that they should appear in English. Then you may redefine the graphic style, but that's not really necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using cc 2015 version. I group my artwork, apply a new stroke to the group in the appearance panel, drag it down below the contents box in the panel, I then.....

1. add the effect - pathfinder - divide

2. then  pathfinder - add

3. then pathfinder - outline.

Then , I position these three in various orders to get what I want but it doesn't work out. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use the Outline Pathfinder effect. Use the Effect > Path > Outline Stroke effect instead.

Then it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still not happening. here is my file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you save the file to Illustrator CS5 format?

I'm using AI CS5 and therefore I can only open the PDF portion of the file (which does not contain your graphic style definition).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines