• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large Timeline-C Disk 100% **SLOW**

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now I'm editing a Wedding on my Custom Built PC. Its a beefy machine with...

i7 4790k Overclocked to 4.2ghz

32GB of RAM

480GB SSD Workdrive

GTX 1070

I'm in Premiere Pro 2017, and although I have a large timeline, I'm editing off an SSD, and the CPU doesn't seem to be working very hard, but the lag is THROUGH THE ROOF, with almost 10 seconds of delay between Mouse movements, and Premiere almost crashing!

The weirdest thing of all is the SSD doesn't seem to be touched, yet my C Drive (OS Drive) that Premiere is installed on seems to be jumping to 100% at times, and reading at sometimes as low as 0kbbps!

So my question is....is the SSD bad? What other options do I have to trouble shoot this...I have had this issue before, but with my machines power, it really shouldnt be acting up like this!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

crystallmark that ssd and report back and also confirm which drive premiere has cached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing that now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there is that.....Also, The Hard Drive is Super Filled, so not sure if that could be an issue....but I'm not sure! Also, Premiere is chaching on the disk im editing off...separate drive

Caching Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An example of my work drive on the same PC

Work Drive Test.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to be more specific in your description of exactly what your hardware is, what version of Premiere you are running, what codecs you are trying to edit, etc. Piriform speccy is a free download program which allows others to see all the details of your machine.

You have NOT mentioned WHICH 1070 you have. There had been a problem with the EVGA 1070s. Do you have the most current NVidia driver installed on it ?

Have you turned off "indexing" on all your drives ?

You can see from the poor write speed of your boot drive that it is NOT as good as your " media drive".  Best to REPLACE it with a quality Samsung 850 Pro of 256GB or higher for best boot drive performance. Or, just make your current "work drive" your new boot drive, making sure that ONLY the OS, programs, and Windows page file are on it. THEN, purchase the new Samsung 960 Pro NVMe SSD, ( available soon in 1 or 2 TB versions ), to use as your project drive where EVERYTHING ELSE goes on it

In general, it is best to leave at least a 10% empty space on an SSD to avoid trouble....overfilling may cause problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Gigabyte Model 1070!

Right now I'm editing a Ceremony with 3 Canon 5D MKIII Fotage....I understand, itds alot of clips and should be lagging a little but this can barely open the sequences. I'm on Premiere Pro 2017...the TODAY update, that fixed some bugs. Weird thing is that it is only on the larger sequences, yet my CPU still stays at like 45% like its no problem....why Im thinking its a drive issue!

I have several Drives for different tasks, and their backups!

Im not sure how do I turn off Indexing?

Yes, I'm really thinking I need one! I have a Work Drive SSD, but I may get the 500GB and Re-Install Windows on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I asked how many processes you have running go to Task Manager like you did but click on the CPU activity and you will get a picture like this.

With this you see I have only 71 processes running which is lean and mean.

With your boot drive so full and underperforming you must have loads of junk on that drive.  Have you ever deleted all the files in the default Adobe location "C:\Users\"your username"\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common in the two folders "Media Cache" and "Media Cache Files" the next time you open a project only the current necessary files will be recreated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I wiped and Re-Installed Windows back on the SSD, so it is completely clean and empty....and still... It seems super slow and odd

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is literally idling with Premiere Open in the backround....So idk Why it seems to be pushing itself so hard

2222.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think it could be strictly a speed issue? Like maybe the OTHER SSD Work Drive I have isn't fast enough for the Multicam Editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have 99 processes running compared to my 71 and some of those are kicking off and stealing your CPU cycles.  Take a look at Tuning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this you can see Premiere Crashing with th White Screen on a large timeline...but only 1080p footage so nothing crazy...but look at the C Disk....which only has premiere...

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....just saw your picture. What's with all the hard drive volumes ?? Have you made partititions on various drives ??...or, just many drives ?? Your drive setup appears bizarre.

It also appears that your boot drive is overfilled,or, just is a crappy drive. Replace it witha 500 GB samsung 850 Pro, to give extra room.....and, you CAN place the " cache" and " media cache" files there with no performance penalty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds to me like you may not have not tuned your system.  How many processes do you have running when you are editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only one. It can be the only thing opened and it seems to just crash and crash and be too slow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines