Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My Lightroom has become extremely laggy

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have been using Lightroom CC for about a year and up until a week or so it has run very smoothly.

Now suddenly, it's very laggy, when editing pictures, or just browsing.
Any1 got any idea why?
I have two drives, my main drive which is an SSD has my Lightroom library, while on my other drive I have the program installed.
I have got a lot of space on my other drive, but on my SSD its almost full.
Could this be the problem?

Also, if I were to reinstall Lightroom, would my edits and such be removed?
AND, if i were to reinstall my entire compute, where exactly are my edited pictures stored? For instance, all my virtual copies?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

The first thing didn't work at all, if anything it feels like it made it worse.

Are you sure you UNchecked the box? I can't really think of a way that it would make it worse if you UNchecked the box.

The second thing worked somewhat, it's far from perfect but a lot better than the pictures with brush adjustments.

This doesn't solve the problem though since I love the brush and I use it for 75% of my pictures...

It wasn't intended to solve the problem, it was intended to diagnose the problem. This is

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SSD has my Lightroom library

Does this mean the catalog file is on the SSD, or the photo files, or both?

Now suddenly, it's very laggy, when editing pictures, or just browsing.

Can you be more specific? Browsing in Library module? Browsing in Develop Module? Any specific editing steps that are worse than others?

Please state your version NUMBER of Lightroom. Go to Help->System Info. Do not state words like "current" or "up-to-date".

Please state what is the resolution in pixels (width and height) of your monitor.

Reinstalling will not solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lightroom catalog file, not the pictures themselves.

Sure I'll try to be more specific. Its worse when browsing in develop module, and especially when using an adjustment brush AND/OR when editing a picture that has already been edited heavily. In other words, the more I have done with a picture, the more lag and crashes occur.

Is this the part you mean?;

Lightroom-version: CC 2015.7 [ 1090788 ]

Licens: Creative Cloud

Operativsystem: Windows 7

Version: 6.1

Programarkitektur: x64

Systemarkitektur: x64

It's either version 6.1 or CC 2015.7?

1920 x 1080.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With regards to the lag, two things to try

1. Turn off the GPU acceleration, go to PReferences, click on the Performance tab, then uncheck the box
  2. If that doesn't work, please try the following experiment. Take some new pictures, do lots of editing, but do not use the adjustment brush and do not use the spot healing tool. Does the problem go away?

Ok, but If I were to store them on a backup or reinstall my computer for other reasons, where would I find them?

Virtual copies cannot be found as files on your computer, they are virtual! As long as you have a backup of your catalog file, and your original photos, everything is present and you can re-create all of your work including virtual copies. Backups should be done on a regular and automated basis (not sometimes and not done by human when the urge strikes), and should be stored on a different physical disk than the originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second thing worked somewhat, it's far from perfect but a lot better than the pictures with brush adjustments.
This doesn't solve the problem though since I love the brush and I use it for 75% of my pictures...

About the virtual copies, Ok, I understand. But out of curiosity, the "settings" for the virtual copies must be stored somewhere.
Right? And where is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you UNchecked the box? I can't really think of a way that it would make it worse if you UNchecked the box.

It wasn't intended to solve the problem, it was intended to diagnose the problem. This is a well-known drawback to Lightroom, if you do a lot of brushing and/or spot healing, Lightroom slows down. There are some ways to work around this:

• Do the brushing and spot healing in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements
  • Do the brushing in Lightroom as the next to last step of editing, and the last step is to turn on the lens corrections and transfomations (if desired)
  • Get a faster CPU

About the virtual copies, Ok, I understand. But out of curiosity, the "settings" for the virtual copies must be stored somewhere.

All of your work, including virtual copies, is stored in the Lightroom catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to preferences - performance and there were only two tabs.
First one under camera RaW that said (in my language, Swedish) "Use Graphic processor" and I unchecked that box.
The other one was not relevant.

Ok, so a drawback, I see. This is probably my problem and hence the answer I was looking for. Good to know.
I always do the brushing last. About the CPU, mine is fast, but it doesn't seem to help though does it?

Thank you for your answers!

I hope Adobe can fix this because it is really annoying and it slows me down substantially.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, so a drawback, I see. This is probably my problem and hence the answer I was looking for. Good to know.
I always do the brushing last. About the CPU, mine is fast, but it doesn't seem to help though does it?

I hope Adobe can fix this because it is really annoying and it slows me down substantially.

Adobe isn't going to "fix" this, it is not a "bug" that needs to be fixed, at least in LR 6, because it is working the way it was designed. Yes, it is a poor design. Future releases (LIghtroom 7) may have improvements in this area, or not.

There are always faster CPUs. By the way, I don't have problems with moderate amounts of brushing, maybe I have a faster CPU than you do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addendum: I would also like to know where exactly wherein the files my virtual copies are stored.

Example if you say they are stored in the library file, where exactly in the library

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalling is not going to solve this problem. So there is no need to discuss re-installing further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, but If I were to store them on a backup or reinstall my computer for other reasons, where would I find them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines