Feb 06, 2016 Feb 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is expected lightroom 7? thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2016 Feb 06, 2016

Barring any major economic or natural disasters, Adobe is likely to release a next version. Major versions get released every one to two years if you look in history. Version 6 was April 2015. v5 June 2013 so it's unlikely to happen before summer. Adobe might also decide to do away with the standalone versions altogether and then we'll never see a v7 but we'll see a CC 2016 or similar.

Bottom line is we don't know and if people here knew they wouldn't be able to tell you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been no indication that there will not be a Lightroom 7. You will just have to wait and see what is offered in the future. Adobe does not make such announcements ahead of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barring any major economic or natural disasters, Adobe is likely to release a next version. Major versions get released every one to two years if you look in history. Version 6 was April 2015. v5 June 2013 so it's unlikely to happen before summer. Adobe might also decide to do away with the standalone versions altogether and then we'll never see a v7 but we'll see a CC 2016 or similar.

Bottom line is we don't know and if people here knew they wouldn't be able to tell you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't matter for me CC or 7. I need:

* drastic performance improvement for my top of the line PC. 😕  LR is slow for both 30 and 50 MPs

* And better GPU utilization.  😕

* And should we mention the better/sharper conversion of RAW files from C1? 😉

With C1 and ON1 RAW things get pretty serious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2016 Jul 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish adobe and others software companies going to subscription based plans understood not everyone lives in a city with access to fast internet with unlimited downloading.  I think when I'm ready to upgrade I'll have to look into other editing programs.  It makes me really sad.  I've always loved Adobe, but it appears they are not listening to some of their customer's needs.  I guess they are big enough, that they don't care about the customers who don't have access.  I'm very happy for all of you who are able to use the subscription based plan.  How wonderful for you, but I do wonder what are the rural customers supposed to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2016 Jul 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darshlabarshka wrote:

what are the rural customers supposed to do?

Fortunately, for Lightroom, it's still possible to order a disc of Lightroom 6, without a subscription, from several stores such as Amazon and B&H. If you live in an area without good Internet access, you can simply order the disc and have it shipped to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do know that you don't have to be online to use the subscription version, do you?

You only need to be online to activate it and then in intervals (IIRC after 30days) to check on the validity of your subscription.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not think that this is the issue here.  Subscribing to software is like "leasing a car": once lease is over, you end up with nothing. A purchase gives you use of the equipment, for as long it works.  Here: gives you a safe heaven and security to access and use your work on your images forever.

Research it on the web: Plenty of people end up in financial troubles and lose the subscription, or for whatever reason cannot access their account.  They lose their work.

Or, lets just for the sake of argument theorize what would happen if Adobe decides to "dump" Lightroom, like mighty Apple did it with Aperture? Shall you loose access and lose all your work?  I consider any participation in a "CC-like model" an irresponsible act, which will not happen with me.  No matter what.  My wife decided to pay for Microsoft Office their $99 or whatever fee, and run out of the subscription, or could not access it because something went wrong with password.  Whatever. I use Open Office, so does even my company, for this very reason:  Do not subscribe for software use, not ever. It will just make you a slave to circumstance.

If Adobe will not release LR7, or barricade access to it, as they did with LR6, it was a drama to get it found and downloaded, I will simply get Capture 1. They seem to have a more expensive, but fine product with LR catalog conversion procedures in place. And both links to "purchase" or "subscribe" are equally visible and reachable.  No pressure, your choice. I like that.  And Capture-one by standard comes for 3-workstations. Since LR6 Adobe started to enforce their "max 2 computers" rule. Not that I would need that, but we have one PC with main data, one travel laptop, and my wife has her system (3rd PC),  On that we are now limited to LR5, we do not care. She does photography barely ever. And when we switched our laptop, we had to "logout" LR6 and login to the new system, and in my case that went smooth.  Others complained about it online.

Generally, this "license for N-users" or "home versus pro version" custom is an interesting phenomenon. The software is identical, actually its even slightly more complicated due to handing of these versions, subversions, differences etc.  On the other hand, manufacturers want to have income proportional to the level of use.  In this case, if LR is being used at a large agency with (say) 10 people processing commercial photography, Adobe wants to have more money for the product.  I do not know what is the best strategy here. We also have numerous shapes of licenses for our DB's.  In a case of a mass product, one would like to maximize "p*n", price times number of users, with correction for maintenance cost (bug reports, support calls, etc). In many cases, lowering of the price might dramatically increase number of users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Research it on the web: Plenty of people end up in financial troubles and lose the subscription, or for whatever reason cannot access their account.  They lose their work.

If your Lightroom CC subscription ends, you haven't lost your work. Lightroom CC still opens, and will allow you to use all modules except the Develop module and Map module. So any photos you have worked on in the past are still available to you, including your edits and user-supplied metadata. Any slideshows or web pages are also still available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well.... lightrooms noise reduction and the overall demosaicing is outdated.

other raw converter are showing adobe the backlights.

so i hope adobe gets it´s stuff together and focuses on the desktop app in the future.

or maybe adobe is now just trying to get the smartphone users to pay for subscription so they can use the crappy adobe mobile apps.

i doubt that will work out.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines