• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Everything disappears when I move my timeline in After Effects!

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I'd love some help on this if possible.  I'm a relative novice with AE, but here goes:

I started a new project, and brought in some vector files from Illustrator.  Now, when I try to move one of my layers from one part of the screen to another part, everything disappears when I move the Current Time Indicator.  Any idea why?

I'm using Adobe After Effects CC 2017.

Thanks so much for any help.

Jason

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you got Caps Lock turned on? it will disable the preview.

other than that please show full screenshots of what exactly is your setup and try to illustrate what is happening.

you wrote that you move one layer from one part of the screen to another but you also mention moving the CTI. so what is your exact workflow and what exactly is happening step by step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roei,

Thanks for responding to my plea for help!

To answer your first question, no, I didn't have Caps Lock on, that wasn't the problem.

I'm trying to make a 15 second typographic animation with vector graphics created in Illustrator.  I've imported them into a project in After Effects.

I'm trying to extend the green bar for all the layers in the timeline (so all the layers will be live for the full 15 seconds), but can't seem to do so (here's a screenshot):

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 12.31.21 PM.png

I've tried time re-mapping and time stretching, but even when I do that, the graphics disappear before I've finished running the cursor over the layers.  Here's a video:

So, basically, I just want to be able extend the green layers to the end of the timeline (15 seconds) and have my graphics visible at all times (except when I make them disappear by turning their Opacity down to 0%).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much.

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe JUST came out with a bug fix.  No clue if you have it.  It might help  -- no guararntees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make a 15 second typographic animation with vector graphics created in Illustrator.  I've imported them into a project in After Effects.

I'm trying to extend the green bar for all the layers in the timeline (so all the layers will be live for the full 15 seconds), but can't seem to do so (here's a screenshot):

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 12.31.21 PM.png

I've tried time re-mapping and time stretching, but even when I do that, the graphics disappear before I've finished running the cursor over the layers (video below). 

So, basically, I just want to be able extend the green layers to the end of the timeline (15 seconds) and have my graphics visible at all times (except when I make them disappear by turning their Opacity down to 0%).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much.

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem (that is easy to miss since you cropped your screenshot at somewhat crucial place but you left other clues) is that you imported your illustrator layers as sequence, and not footage. re-import your layers and make sure the sequence option is not checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're correct... I had the same problem,  Your solution fixed it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave

Just posted a message to you with what I'm trying to do in case you can help.  Also, I had such tunnel-vision that I forgot to say "Hello" in my previous message!  Apologies for my rudeness!

if you can help, that would be great.  If not, no worries.

Have a good one.

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an easy fix.  Put the timeline cursor (CTI) at the end of the timeline.  Select all the layers. Now, trim all the layers' out points to the timeline cursor position.  They keyboard shortcut is  alt-] win, Opt-] Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just solved mine. Extending the timeline doesn't extend the the timeline of the project files you were initially working with. I had to extend each of them manually to the new time length. Every single part has to be extended this way. You can make sure of this by double-clicking on each project file/composition and extend the timeline bars for each.

Sorry, I'm a novice. So i may not have used the exact names. But hopefully you understand and the picture explains better. Cheers.

Capture 1.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines