Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive document?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies if this is super rudimentary.

I've been working on a document in InDesign with the understanding that when published online, users can enter text into the text fields.

1. My text fields aren't working -- none of them allow me to enter text when viewing the document published online.

2. Can the user save their work without downloading it as a pdf?

3. Can the user enter text, save, open again later and add more text?

4. Can the user download it and fill it out without having Acrobat?

5. Can I see what the user enters, or do they need to download the form and send it to me after they complete it?

6. Can I disable the share function?

Thanks, community!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publish Online does not support form fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobLevine, do you have a solution to suggest?

I see the tutorial below, but can a user not interact with an online document by entering and saving text? They have to download it as PDF? And do they have to have Acrobat to fill it in, save, come back later and fill more in?

Create PDF forms (CS5.5 and CS5)

Although InDesign does not provide tools for adding form fields, Adobe Acrobat does. You can create a form in InDesign that includes placeholders for fields such as radio buttons, check boxes, and text fields. Then you can export to PDF, and use Acrobat to convert the placeholders into form fields.

• In InDesign, create the document you want to use for the form. Use tables and text boxes to create the placeholders for the fields.You can also add interactive buttons in InDesign.

• Export the document to Adobe PDF.

• Start the form wizard to convert the placeholders into form fields. Use the form tools to add and edit the form. For more information, see the Adobe Acrobat documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a form you want folks to fill out online?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I want users to fill in their information and thoughts as they work through the document, which is something of a guidebook.

The fewer steps for the user, the better.

Here's a snip of one page. The boxes are text fields, which I've learned are essentially worthless?

Capture.PNG

Thanks, all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas?

I am also just still confused about text fields on InDesign documents published online. Is the purpose of text fields for the designer him or herself to use, not for the end user?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Bob mentioned previously: Publish Online does not support form fields. Even though you can create a form field, and then Publish Online, the form field will not display at all in published format.

The Text Field is used for fillable form PDFs that you create in Indesign and then export to PDF. The PDF can be distributed in various ways, and also the data collected can be captured in various ways. This process is not done exclusively within Indesign, and requires Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Jeffrey.

Given the design of what I'm working on, it seems the expert consensus is to use Acrobat to make a fillable PDF -- clunky and not mobile friendly.

I haven't found an online form generator that allows one to upload their own design.

Anyone have experience with inkling?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned several times already, form fields are not supported in Publish Online.

In addition to JotForm you might want to look at Google Forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The instructions you posted are for creating form fields in Acrobat from a regular PDF that did not previously have forms. If you have created the form fields in Indesign, you do not need these instructions. But keep in mind there are more things involved that require working in Acrobat to make this PDF an online form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And before giving suggestions for a fillable form PDF workflow, I would suggest an easy-to-use web form solution first, like JotForm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines