• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old 2013 Macbook Pro runs Lightroom faster than new i7-6900K build.

Contributor ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone from Adobe please help me understand why a 2013 Macbook Pro (2.6GHz Quad Core i7, 16GB Ram, GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB, with a 512G SSD) is twice as fast running Lightroom as my new PC (Windows 10, i7-6900K Octa-core, Samsung 950Pro, Samsung 850Pro, 64GB Ram, GTX1080)?

I've been running test all day and the old Macbook Pro dominates the PC in every aspect. Imports and exports are literally twice as fast. Speed and fluidity of lightroom are much better too. I can actually use the develop module on the Mac while importing images...something the PC can't do at all...too slow and lags.

I'm running the same build on both systems: 2015.7 1090788 as well as using the same monitor: LG Ultrawide 3440x1440.

I've reinstalled Windows fresh 3 times now with no changes. I've got all the latest drivers and keep my machine clean of garbage.

Can someone please explain why my old Macbook is wiping the floor with my new PC?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been many reports of eight-core CPUs not performing well in Lightroom; whereas 4 core CPUs seem to not have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uhhh...so am I just out of luck or is this something Adobe is working on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you'd have to ask Adobe that.

But I add that it's not confirmed that this is the cause of your problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try limitIng the number of cores Lightroom uses. There are some instructions here: Lightroom: Slow performance on Xeon CPUs | Photoshop Family Customer Community

this is really mostly for testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just wanted to give you guys an update. Nothing has changed. I've run multiple tests and limiting cores and turning off GPU acceleration doesn't do anything. A lot of power users are having the same problem, you can find one such thread here: Lightroom: Slow performance on Xeon CPUs | Photoshop Family Customer Community

This is not just effecting Xeon CPU's. From what I've learned, it's anything over 4 cores will exhibit these issues. This has been going on for over a year now and Adobe has failed to make a public statement. As a professional I need my software to perform as advertised and need to know if this issue is going to be solved. Migrating to another platform is going to be a pain but I'd prefer to do it sooner rather than later. If you have having similar problems please contact Adobe support and ask them to issue a statement. Also, get the word out on social media and blogs. The more people that know about this problem the faster it will be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines