• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I Turn Off Slices in Photoshop?

Advocate ,
Jun 27, 2014 Jun 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been three days searching from within Photoshop CC 2014 on a Mac and exhausted, can't find what must be under preferences but no clear indication at all.

Can someone help with the correct way to turn off the lines and measurements that pop up continually while I am trying to work in Photoshop? I would think that these would be off by default.

TIA,

Ken

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 28, 2014 Jun 28, 2014

Unless you are using the Slice Tool, you should not see slices and their numbers. Maybe it's Transformation values?

You can turn those off:

Preferences > Interface > Show Transformation values > set to Never

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2014 Jun 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you are using the Slice Tool, you should not see slices and their numbers. Maybe it's Transformation values?

You can turn those off:

Preferences > Interface > Show Transformation values > set to Never

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While using the move tool there are lines that pop up showing alignment and what looks like slices but I couldn't tell, they would appear and disappear again quickly. I believe yours is the correct answer and I thank you for helping me get away from this annoying behavior in Photoshop. I have other projects coming up where I'll be able to tell if this is the answer as I cannot duplicate the problem as it seems to come up on its own prerogative and I can't tell what type of 'help' it is trying to be.

Much Thanks,

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help. Now that I know it's the move tool, I can give you a better answer.

Sometimes when a tool exhibits odd behavior, It's usually settings are changed or corrupted.

For example, "Show Transformation controls" may have been checked on in the Options bar.

There you would see the lined transformation box with handles and the values I directed you to turn off.

But if that's not the case, you can Reset the Move tool to its' defaults.

In the Options bar, ctrl-click on the Move tool and select "Reset Tool"

Screen Shot 2014-06-28 at 9.26.14 AM.png

So try that and see if it helps.

The transformation values were meant to be a "heads up" feature. That is you could see the values change instead of glancing over to the Info panel all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have the valuable knowledge of this. I know that prepress requires a solid understanding of 'move' abilities and precise control over 'placement' of objects. All of this is required and extremely important. I am often working in a more 'creative' mode and don't want the 'assistance' of all of these great features.

Thanks again for filling me in and making me aware of what is and might be going on.

After I changed the preference you mentioned I went back and tried a transform and it gave the same behavior with lines showing up 'once' and then, as if it said to itself 'oops, I'm supposed to be turned off' it did not happen again.

These programs are strange sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "pink lines" that show up during moving operations are a new feature called Smart Guides.

Try this if you don't want to see them:

View - Show - Smart Guides (uncheck)

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

View - Show - Smart Guides (uncheck)

This has got to be it, since the 'pink lines' showed up after I went into preferences and set 'show transformation values' to 'never.'

It seems that Smart Guides are there for each new document that I open and is greyed out if I look at the menu without a document open.

Is there a way to turn them off by default?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a document open, choose View - Show - Smart Guides (uncheck).  Close Photoshop.  The setting is sticky as far as I can see.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your answer is correct for what I wanted Noel. I'll leave things as they are here because this whole thread has been a first-class education in what you can see on screen to help with measuring, locating and lining up objects and their placement in a document AND how to remove those helps from the working environment when not needed. Five stars and thank you for every contribution here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2014 Dec 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that works great. they are dumb annoying pointless guides. not smart guides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 15, 2015 Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem but the smart guides does not disappear although I have unchecked the smart guides. Transformation values are set to NEVER. PS CC seems very buggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2015 Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you'd like others to help you, open a new topic. This one has been marked as answered and is basically closed.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I actually had a hard time finding it. Here's an image...

step-1.jpg

And sweet Jesus, thank you for posting your answer! I just upgraded to CC since my CS6 now died after updating to OS Sierra. Really pissed off that my perfectly find photoshop is now crashing and unusable.

THANK YOU! for letting me turn off this useless 'improvement' of smart guides. Totally distracting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines