Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange drive in import window

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've encountered strange drive name looking like UUID of some sort. When I try to inspect it it shows data from my main drive. No other applications show this drive. Also the drive name changes each restart.

This behavior is only on my Mac Pro 2013 and not on my MacBook Pro.

Is it something to worry about or it's known issue?

Zrzut ekranu 2016-11-19 o 20.22.12.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen these a couple times in Lightroom after doing a software update on a program.  I think it is a temporary install drive artifact as a reboot of the computer has always removed the entry.  Try a complete restart of you computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restart just change name of that drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bazu wrote:

Restart just change name of that drive

If the drive name changed on a restart than it is some kind of temporary volume.   My problem happened to be an program update artifact i believe as it happened a couple times right after a program update, one of them being and Adobe update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Disk Utility and see if the drive is listed there. Post a screen shot of it if it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not on the list.

I did use diskutil list in terminal and it's not there either.

I've done clean system install two weeks ago. I had that before it and still after.

Zrzut ekranu 2016-11-20 o 02.10.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have multiple partitions on the Seagate external drive, could be that is some type of hidden partition that Disk Utility will not display without turning on the switch "Show every Partition (or something like that). Turn that switch, option, on.

Sorry I haven't used a Mac in several years but here is a screen shot from a virtual machine of Mt Lion's Disk Utility.

It is under the Debug menu

Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 8.40.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disk utilities on maxOs Sierra don't look like that anymore. I've disconnected my external drive. The strange one persisted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it has something to do with the SSD. There are multiple partitions on every Mac OS X system disk. Only the ones Apple wants the users to see are shown by default.

Look here for details on enabling the Debug menu item and then turn on Show every Partition.

Enable Disk Utility's Debug Menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the last reply. Apple has seen fit to remove the debug menu. But you can still list all partitions in a terminal window.

diskutil list.

How can I show hidden partitions in the new Dis... |Official Apple Support Communities

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The internal disk looks exactly same as on my MacBook Pro which is not affected by the issue.

I've also checked all UUID of each of disk and none of them fit one from Lightroom.

Zrzut ekranu 2016-11-20 o 02.58.30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh is this one of those round Mac Pro's that only allow for one internal SSD and everything else is connected externally?

Do you have a card reader connected or some type of TB or USB hub connected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No card reader connected, only that external thunderbolt drive I disconnected for a test before.

I think that issue came with Sierra version of OS. But I am not 100% sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a Fusion Drive system in that Mac Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines