• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export clip with depth "256 grays"

Contributor ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I want to export a black and with clip (PNG image sequence) for use as a matte clip within mocha. Mocha needs it to be 8 bit grayscale. However, when adjusting the settings in After Effects'

render queue > output module > video output > depth

then the option of "256 grays" is always grayed out. I tried various formats and channel settings, as well as switching the projects bith depth. To no avail.

How can I export an PNG image sequence as 256 bit grayscale?

Best,

Andreas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see Quicktime Png and Quicktime Jpeg2000 have 256 grays option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roei, thank you very much for helping out. This is great information. Alas, Mocha Pro won't import .movs with PNG, BMP, TGA, TIFF or any other image file format. It seems to accept only image sequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would ask in the Mocha pro forum how do they suggest you handle this. I am not familiar with using matte clips from within Mocha. for example: can a regular grey scale color sequence be good enough (reducing the color with color correction and rendering 8-bit) ?

I have not found where in the documentation it specifies what this workflow entails: Documentation « Imagineer Systems

can you share where did you learn about this technique and what exactly does it enable you to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roei, thank you very much. I got in contact with imagineer by now and this is what I learned: Image sequences with more than 8 bit  will be converted internally to 8 bit greyscale. The reason it didn't work for me was because I ran into another issue of mocha pro simultaneously that added up to not showing the matte. So, yes, you can use any greyscale color image sequence.

Where I learned about that workflow I cannot say specifically since over the years I attended quite a number trainings, including those from Curious Turtle, FXPHD as well as Imagineers' own tutorials and webinars.

But here is at least one free (actually a series of three) from Curious Turtle. It is an older version of Mocha Pro and uses Quicktime Animation as interchange format. However, that codec would not work on my system (Win10, Mocha Plugin for AE). Here is the link, it is a great tutorial:

Tutorial - Rotoscoping with Mocha & After Effects - Procedural mattes - Pt 1 - YouTube

Best, Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you. I recognized that voice and remembered I did a tutorial series on Lynda by the same author: mocha 3 Essential Training and I see he has another more updated series that I have not checked out: mocha 4 Essential Training about a year ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines