• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I view a listing previously created Catalogs and Collections in Lightroom.

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I view previously created Catalogs and, in particular, collections in Lightroom.  All that is displayed is the current Catalog. So, for example, if I wanted to add pictures to a previously created collection I have no way of viewing it. (posted this question a couple of hours ago and accidentally closed it as "answered)

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple fact is you should only have One Catalog not multiple catalogs.

Collections are stored with, in actually, the catalog file. So if you keep creating new catalogs you have to recreate any collections and also re-import the other images that were in the other catalogs you created. Doing that will wipe out any edits as LR is set by default to only store edits in the catalog file.

Please look here for tutorials on how to use LR properly.

New to Lightroom? Watch My “Introduction to Lightroom” Video | Laura Shoe's Lightroom Training, Tuto...

Lightroom CC tutorials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple catalogs destroys the ability to see all of your organization (in this case, Collections). You want to combine all the catalogs into a single one. In one catalog, select File->Import from Another Catalog, and then select one of your other catalogs. Repeat as necessary until all photos are in a single catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is the bottom line that I should be importing new folders from my hard drive into Folders not Catalogs using "import videos and pictures?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. Use the "import videos and pictures" menu option or the "import" button on the bottom left of the screen.

The catalog (database) knows about folders, images in folders, and images referenced by collections.

Unless you have a good reason for multiple catalogs -- and most people don't have a good reason -- you should be using only one catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sandman123 wrote:

So is the bottom line that I should be importing new folders from my hard drive into Folders not Catalogs using "import videos and pictures?

You have to import photos into folders, that's a requirement, you must specify a folder when you import into Lightroom, but they also go into a single catalog, not catalogs plural.

As stated above, you really need to view some introductory material about Lightroom, and not try to figure this out yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your helpful responses. I've used Elements for years. This is one time, (probably one of many) I should have read instructions before I leaped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines