• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing or pasting foreign language text?

Engaged ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to place text that contains hebrew text, for example:

בְּרֵאשִׁית, בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים, אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם, וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ.

In Indesign, the text shows as square boxes with Xs in them (i.e., missing glyphs).

The text file I am placing from is UTF8, and I have chosen UTF8 when using the place options menu.

Is there any way for me to get text to place, even if it contains a foreign character?

I am dealing with test that can contain any language … Just curious of the best way to handle this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting:

Screenshot 2016-11-20 20.27.09.png

The text shows when I copy and paste it into the find field of the Indesign search box.

Now I am wondering if I should turn of "glyph protection"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Hebrew you have to install additionally InDesign Hebrew which is available with the CC client.

You have to set up your paragraph style with a font which contains ebrew glyphs like Myriad Hebrew or Adobe Hebrew which will be installed together with the Hebrew version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the reply Willi, I really appreciate it!

Willi Adelberger wrote:

With Hebrew you have to install additionally InDesign Hebrew which is available with the CC client.

You have to set up your paragraph style with a font which contains ebrew glyphs like Myriad Hebrew or Adobe Hebrew which will be installed together with the Hebrew version.

Ahh, I see! Thank you for the details.

For my situation, I will be handling a variety of languages, co-mingled with the English language.

I guess my next question is: Is there a quick way to find and remove missing glyphs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be you not need this another question. Install Hebrew version (this version have English interface and support of right-to-left features), install Hebrew "good" fonts and than in 99.9% you will see that all your glyphs are "working".

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George!

GeorgeS wrote:

May be you not need this another question.

Great point! Sorry to go off topic.

GeorgeS wrote:

Install Hebrew version (this version have English interface and support of right-to-left features), install Hebrew "good" fonts and than in 99.9% you will see that all your glyphs are "working".

I will give that a try this week!

I'm assuming I can install other languages this way too? Unfortunately, I have several different types of languages to contend with (co-mingled with English).

I will let you know how the installation goes!

Thanks so much for your help and tips, I greatly appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mickyhulse wrote:

For my situation, I will be handling a variety of languages, co-mingled with the English language.

I guess my next question is: Is there a quick way to find and remove missing glyphs?

But surely you don't want to remove them? If you are using a font which shows missing glyphs, then this only means that those specific characters are not provided in that font. So either choose another font for your entire text which does contain the correct characters (e.g., if you see a few of your Hebrew characters but not all), or alternatively, apply a suitable font to just those characters (e.g., when you are missing one for which the used font is less important, such as a mathematical glyph in the middle of 'regular' text).

To locate all missing glyphs, best is to set up a Preflight profile. I've used one for years, which only checks missing fonts and glyphs. When enabled, the Preflight panel lists all of them and you can them each one by one, or use Find & Replace to change them in bulk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[Jongware] wrote:

But surely you don't want to remove them?

Yah, you're right! Haha. I probably should have worded my question better … I posted that question out of frustration when I wasn't making any progress getting the results I wanted. I've had some time to sleep on things, and I am ready to tackle this problem again.

[Jongware] wrote:

If you are using a font which shows missing glyphs, then this only means that those specific characters are not provided in that font. So either choose another font for your entire text which does contain the correct characters (e.g., if you see a few of your Hebrew characters but not all), or alternatively, apply a suitable font to just those characters (e.g., when you are missing one for which the used font is less important, such as a mathematical glyph in the middle of 'regular' text).

To locate all missing glyphs, best is to set up a Preflight profile. I've used one for years, which only checks missing fonts and glyphs. When enabled, the Preflight panel lists all of them and you can them each one by one, or use Find & Replace to change them in bulk.

Oooh, thanks for tips!

I just did a quick test, and it looks like Arial works for the Hebrew characters.

I was using Google's Noto font, which covers many languages in one font, but unfortunately it doesn't have Hebrew.

Google Noto Fonts

Anyway, I will try your suggestions and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines