Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

1440x1080 videos

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

I use to transfer my mp4 video from Sony Rx 100m3 to my smart for editing in Adobe Clip.

The problem is that Adobe Clip does not interpret this format well. The image is very unnatural.The resolution is 1440x1080 and the image looks narrow with vertical black bars.

There are in Google Play other editors that interpret correctly this format but honestly I want to stick with Adobe Clip.

Is there a chance for implementing a solution for a correct read of this format?

Regards

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Seeing as you're going to have to crop, why don't you just shoot at 1920x1080 to start with?  Any other editor which interprets that aspect ratio correctly is either cropping or stretching the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing as you're going to have to crop, why don't you just shoot at 1920x1080 to start with?  Any other editor which interprets that aspect ratio correctly is either cropping or stretching the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera does not provide 1920x1080 option.

Seems strange why such a camera is not providing this resolution, but this is the reality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing : the image is not cropped. It is just compressed horizontaly , so the ratio between length and height is very unnatural.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the spec. for your camera?  It has seven 1920x1080 modes.

DSC-RX100M3 Specifications | Compact Cameras | Sony UK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it doesn't.

For transferring video to smartphone you can use only mp4.

For mp4 you have available this ;MP4: 12M (1,440x1,080/25fps) / 3M VGA (640x480/25fps)  .

The rest of resolutions are available for AVCHD and X-AVCS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you transferring the footage to your phone?  I regularly transfer 1920x1080 footage to my Android phones.

If I was stuck with this bizarre 4:3 aspect ratio for MP4 I'd be looking at different cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert video to resoluion 1920x1080.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I convert it on smartphone I want to do it directly in editor.

What I want is to follow my video editing sequence without involving a PC. I can do this with all videos shoot in 1920x1080 but not with Sony mp4 format.

Adobe clip doesn't correctly interpret de pixel ratio of 1440x1080, so the image looks horizontally compressed. If I convert to 1920x1080 it just puts some vertical black bars to fill up the remaning pixels.

PowerDirector from Cyberlink does the job, but I like more Adobe Clip so I wondered why Adobe did not put such a feature in their software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, so the intermediate step of converting full-HD to MP4 is the problem step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I will quit using Adobe Clip, although I really enjoy using it, and edit my videos in PowerDirector.

I use to transfer from Sony RX100M3 via wi fi to smartphone memory and from there I import them in editor.

It baffles me how VLC player for Android knows how to read such kind of mp4 format and the mobile video editor from Adobe, not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1440x1080 has pixel aspect of 1.3

1920x1080 has pixel aspect of 1

Apparently Adobe Clip and other editors does not know how to interpret this pixel aspect, so it shows a 1.3 pixel aspect footage as a 1.0 pixel aspect footage, hence the distortion.

Suprinsingly also from Sony that thhey do not have a classic 1920x1080 resolution available for mp4 format ( the only one available for transfer to smartphone).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not talking about pixel aspect ratios, but video aspect ratios.

1440x1080 has an aspect ration of 4:3:

1440/4 = 360

1080/3 = 360

1920x1080 has an aspect ratio of 16:9:

1920/16 = 120

1080/9 = 120

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the link above is explained why a 4/3 video is actually a 16/9 when pixel aspect is 1.3 ( the case of Sony RX100M3 in mp4 mode).

This fomat is called also anamorphic, if I am not wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines