• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line breaks in Reflow Mode

Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have a question in regards to accessibility and Reflow Mode.

I have a PDF document, that needs to be fully accessible, that has a bizarre issue. Whenever a line of text can't fit the document's width, which causes a line break, it completely removes space between the last word of the first line and the first word of the second line, when it's viewed in Reflow Mode (View > Zoom > Reflow).

Here's an illustration of the problem. You can clearly see that the words "meeting" and "and" aren't separated by a space in Reflow Mode.

ReflowModeScreenshotCombo.png

Could anyone help me figure out why this is happening and how to fix it? If so, I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When this happens to me, it is because the document is missing the space character at the end of lines. The space is not being removed, it just is not there at all. My fix ... If there are just a few missing spaces, I can usually find a few 'extra' space characters on the page, move them to the needed spots using the "Move or make changes to object" tool, then retag the affected paragraphs. If the missing spaces are numerous, I "Autotag Document", which adds the missing spaces but inevitably introduces other problems that require manual remediation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The document I'm working with was initially written in Word. I can confirm that there is a space at the end of the line (in Word); the words just move to the next line once the first line is full. In the PDF, this could be different, although it's a bit tougher for me to tell.

In any case, I tried editing the document and manually add a space at the end of each line. It seems to fix the problem for some reason. However, I'm a bit worried. This is a short document and very few lines are long enough to cause this issue, but what if I had a document that was very long and had huge paragraphs... it seems like a manual fix like this one would be incredibly inefficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines