Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White lines showing up in photoshop from a file created in indesign

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I have just upgraded from CS5.5 to CC

I had created a file in InDesign CC and exported as normal. When I opened the file in Adobe Acrobat it was showing lots of white lines all over the pdf file. I spotted on the forum if I go to Preferences in Acrobat / Page Display and untick SMOOTH LINE and SMOTH IMAGES the lines disappear.

BUT when I open the file in Photoshop CC, to create a Jpeg the white lines are all over the image as show in the image.

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 17.08.42.png

I opened the file in my old CS5.5 photoshop and the lines do not show up? (below)

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 17.10.05.png

Not sure why they are showing up, but I need to get rid of them! as I can not create a jpeg

hope you can help?

Thanks

Tim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you toggle the Overprint view on and off and see if that clears up the view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export with a minimum PDF version of 1.4. You’re seeing stitching lines from transparency flattening by using PDF 1.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your comments.

Yes, If I save it as a 1.4 then the lines disappear. The only Issue is printers normally ask for pass4press pdf which use:

pdf 1x-1a: 2001 Acrobat pdf 1.3 which flattens the pdf file

But if I use that then I get the lines

The pass4press setting used to work for my indesign / photoshop 5.5 but what settings should I use now for press ready a/w??

Thanks

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does one have to do with the other?

First, I would find a new printer that can handle modern workflows. PDF/X1-a is archaic. Secondly, if you’re only goal is to create JPGs from your PDFs then export using X-4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I would find a new printer that can handle modern workflows

Doesn't look like PPA does any printing—they seem to be a UK trade group. Wonder how old the recommended  joboptions file is? It almost guarantees mediocre results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tim cross schrieb:

Thank you both for your comments.

Yes, If I save it as a 1.4 then the lines disappear. The only Issue is printers normally ask for pass4press pdf which use:

pdf 1x-1a: 2001 Acrobat pdf 1.3 which flattens the pdf file

But if I use that then I get the lines

The pass4press setting used to work for my indesign / photoshop 5.5 but what settings should I use now for press ready a/w??

Thanks

Tim

1. I hope you will not bring a Photohop file to the printer. Print only PDFs.
  2. If you have to process any InDesign file in Photoshop use only PDF/X-4.
  3. These flattenings lines, stitching lines are invisible on print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If for whatever reason (whether considered valid or invalid) one has to rasterize a flattened PDF in Photoshop, there is a relatively simple way to deal with the atomic region stitching artefacts that should not be visible when output… Simply layer the rasterized layer over itself 6 times and merge or flatten as required (or run apply image in normal mode 100% opacity 6 times or so). Easy to put into a batch action. It is one of those mysteries – the data should not be any different if the same image is layered/applied in normal mode 100% opacity, however there is a cumulative difference in wiping out the atomic region artefacts without affecting “true” pixel data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way is to "RIP" it into Photoshop at a high res and downsample to the desired res. So here on the right is a default PDF/X-1a page opened at 72ppi, which shows severe stitching because of the low res. On the left the page opened at 2400ppi and downsampled to the same 72ppi.

But the OP has control of the export so there's no reason for the flattening.

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 8.16.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

tim cross wrote:

Ok I have just upgraded from CS5.5 to CC

BUT when I open the file in Photoshop CC, to create a Jpeg the white lines are all over the image as show in the image.

Hi Tim,

the rendering engine for PDFs changed from PhotoShop CS5 to CS6.
Not so the rendering engine for incoming EPS files.

If you want the results from the old engine with newer versions of PhotoShop, I would export to EPS from InDesign and render that with PhotoShop CC to pixels and save to JPEG. I did not test with PhotoShop CC 2017, but it worked with PhotoShop CC 2015.

For a large amount of pages and documents that should be rendered to JPEG, one could:

1. Export to PDF/X-4 in InDesign with all the transparency intact.

2. Open the PDFs with Acrobat Pro / DC and batch export to EPS from Acrobat

3. Open and render the EPS files with PhotoShop and convert to JPEG as batch process

See this lengthy thread about the problem:

Photoshop: CS6 PDF import show edge artifacts on tiled PDF images (bug in PDF creation) | Photoshop ...

We also had a discussion about the topic in German at hilfdirselbst.ch this year:

Weiße Haarlinien - jetzt auch im gerasterten PDF [PS CS6] - Adobe Photoshop - HilfDirSelbst.ch - For...

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines