• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 5.0 no png support

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just installed Photoshop Elements 5.0 on a new laptop and have registered as well. Unfortunately there is the error message "could not locate remote server...". Also I can't open png-files anymore and I can't save files as png. Other file types like jpeg, tiff, pdf and so on. I really need to work with pngs though. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? (The programme worked fine on my previous laptop where I also used windows 10 just like now.) Sorry for the rough English!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doodle76 wrote:

I've just installed Photoshop Elements 5.0 on a new laptop and have registered as well. Unfortunately there is the error message "could not locate remote server...".

Ignore that message.

doodle76 wrote:

I can't save files as png. Other file types like jpeg, tiff, pdf and so on. I really need to work with pngs though. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Are you clicking the drop down box?

pse5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Peru Bob, thank you very much for your answer. The problem is, that .png files are not listed in the drop down menue when I want to save as .png (saving and opening other formats like jpeg is no problem). When I click on a png-file and want to open it with photoshop elements 5 There is the error message that png files are not supported and can't be opened. When I open photoshop elements and click open files pngs are not shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should install the 5.0.2 update as well

Adobe - Photoshop Elements : For Windows : Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0.2 update

If you need the german or french version of the 5.0.2 update

Adobe - Photoshop Elements : For Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear R_Kelly, thank you very much for your answer. The problem is, that .png files are not listed in the drop down menue when I want to save as .png (saving and opening other formats like jpeg is no problem). When I click on a png-file and want to open it with photoshop elements 5 There is the error message that png files are not supported and can't be opened. When I open photoshop elements and click open files pngs are not shown. However I'm going to download the update you've suggested and maybe that'll help. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably, png wasn't supported when version 5 was released. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some years ago there was a free download of  photoshop elements 5 from the adobe website. I've used this free version on my old laptop and it still runs there (no problem with pngs at all). But I've got a new laptop now and couldn't copy the free version to this laptop. So I purchased an installation CD via amazon (German version). It is an original and was still in its original unopened box. I installed and registered the software. When I open the programme there is the error message "could not locate remote server". Othewise the programme runs fine exept that I can't work with pngs now - Since I use photoshop elements mainly to erase the background this is really a big problem for me. I can save the pictures as PSD, EPS, JPEG, PDF and so on, but not as pngs 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Irfanview supports PNG file format, and is free.

www.irfanview.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\Plug-Ins\Editor Only\File Formats

do you see a

PNG.8BI

listed?

This screenshot is from windows xp, but since your most likely using a windows x64 bit version your path will be slightly different.

Untitled-1.png

If you go to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0

and double click on the

PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe

do you still get the "could not locate remote server" message?

Untitled-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear R_Kelly, big THANKS for going through all the trouble of making the screenshots and explaining everything to me! I'll try your suggestions and will post here, if it worked or not. Have a lovely evening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for trying to help me! Yes, I do have PNG listed under plugins file formats. It looks like this:

file formats.png

file formats1.png

When I double click PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe I still get the "could not lokate remote server message. It looks like this:

could not locate remote server http.jpg

When I want to open png files, png is not listed in the drop down menue.

file formats2.png

When I right click a png file and go to open file with photoshop elements 5.0 there is an error message telling me that this file format can't be opened. In the Adobe help center for photoshop elements 5.0 png is listed as a supported file format.  I really don't know what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would run pse 5 as administrator by right clicking on the

PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe

in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0

and clicking on Run as Administrator

Then check and see if your able to open png files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this (right clicking and run pse 5 as administrator), but unfortunately there is the same error message "could not locate remote server..." And I still can't open pngs.  I really don't know why I can't open pngs, especially since png is listed in the plug ins. THANKS so much for trying to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps uninstall and reinstall?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peru Bob. I'll try. Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to repair the programme, but the error message "could not locate remote server..." remained. So I uninstalled photoshop elements 5.0 and then I installed the programme new and registered it. Unfortunately the same problem remains - error message "could not locate remote server..." and I can't open png files or save files as pngs.

I'm really sad - I SO wished I could work with this old version of photoshop elements! Adobe doesn't offer any support for photoshop 5.0 anymore (phone, chat, e-mail), so my only hope was this forum. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me! Does anyone have an idea what to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error message appears when I open the programme.

could not locate remote server.jpg

When I want to open a png file with photoshop elements 5.0 I can't see png files. So when I want to open a png like this

png öffnen.jpg

there is the following error message and the file can't be opened:

png kann nicht geöffnet werden.jpg

I can't save files as pngs as well 😞 This option not in in the drop down menue.

als png speichern nicht möglich.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me it seems like a permission issue, since the png plugin is actually there and probably the same issue for the error message.

Try doing an uninstall/reinstall again, except this time after the uninstall go and delete the Photoshop Elements 5.0 folder

in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe ​and then right click on the installer for photoshop elements 5 and click on Run as Administrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear R_Kelly, first of all I'm SO thankful, that you're still trying to help me: THANK you very, very much! As you've mentioned, the png plugin is there and in the handbook/user manual (both, in the printed version and in the digital version on the CD) it says that photoshop elements supports png files.

DSC04885.JPG  DSC04886.JPG

So I'm really at a loss, why it doesn't work and still think there must be a way to solve the problem. When I read your tip on what to try, I was hopeful again. So I did everything you suggested - first I uninstalled the programm, then I deleted the Photoshop Elements 5.0 folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe and emtied my bin, after that I restarted the computer. Then I put the installation CD into the computer and wanted to run the installer as administrator. When I right clicked the installer there was no option to run as administrator.

0run as administrator ist nicht da.jpg

But there was this option when I right clicked the setup icon. So I ran the installation as administrator.

0q run as administrator.jpg

I installed and registered the software. Then I restarted the computer and opened photoshop elements. But there was the same error message again "could not locate remote server...."

1could not locate r.jpg

I thought maybe opening png files would work nevertheless, but When I go to "open file" and choose a folder with pngs in it, it says that there are no files

2png sind im Ordner1.jpg

keine Dateien da.png

I was so hopeful that running the installation as administrator would do the trick and make the programme work properly. Unfortunately it still doesn't work 😞  But big thanks for your support and your suggestions! Maybe there's still a way to fix the problem? I'd really wish to be able to work with this old version of photoshop elements!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm still leaning towards a permission problem as the culprit.

Do you still have your old laptop?

If so, you could compare the permissions on the C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0 folder.

Are you using the same anti virus software as on your old laptop?

You could try turning off your ant-virus software and see if that makes a difference, but make sure that first you disconnect from the internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

Probably, png wasn't supported when version 5 was released.

I still use PSE 5 on a couple of computers and it does support png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the update didn't solve the problem either. But thanks for your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines