• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE 2017 audio still laggy and choppy (Windows 10)

Contributor ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was waiting for cc 2017 because in cc 2015 the audio in ram preview doesn't work properly. Sadly AE 2017 on Windows 10 doesn't fix it. The audio in ram preview is still laggy and choppy. Audio doesn't play at the first playback you have to wait several loops before it plays real time.

On Mac Sierra the probems are even worth.

2014 CC works perfectlly so what on the earth are they doing at Adobe ?!!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Hi StephaneA,

Is this issue solved with the update to After Effects CC (2017) 14.0.1?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, well, get used to it.  You expect perfection.  Adobe management could care less about perfection in After Effects.  Just deal with it or use other software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoua, thanks for your reply so deep and profund : "when a thing is wrong, get used to it".

I feel better, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there's nothing any user can do about it except complain.  It's clear Adobe won't do anything about it yet.

What do you want, duckies and bunnies or the truth?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoua an other great lesson of life : "A bitter truth is better than a sweet lie"

Thanks man, you are true inspiration to me.

Well beside him, is there anybody from Adobe who could tell us why the ram preview witch was so beautiffully working until cc 2015 doesn't anymore ? Just a suggestion:  why don't you get us back the old and beautiful ram preview code until you fix the problem with the new one ?

Btw I remember that in the old AE time there was beta test before official release. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think man....if they could tell you why it wasn't working then they would be able to fix.  They can't fix it because they do not know what's wrong with it.  I'm sure they're trying but they're very busy integrating social media and cloud based ways to share the work that you can't get done properly to really hammer out the bugs.  It's part of Adobe's new "Lead With Your Arse" philosophy.

There's only one answer:  AE 2014

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep I'm still on cc 2014 too, but it is ennoying because some new plugs (like the Mettle vr player) don't work with cc 2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I know it frustrating.  From my understanding their reason for breaking it was that they wanted to put the preview renderer on a separate thread from the rest of after effects so that you could "work" while previewing. 

Why did they think that was something people needed or even wanted is a mystery.

Why they released such a useless application is a mystery.

Why they changed the installer to automatically uninstall previous versions along with a totally broken version is....bad luck?

The questions you are asking & frustrations you're expressing have filled multiples pages of multiple threads over the last two years.

We've heard nothing. 

We're only left to assume that somewhere along the chain of command at Adobe there is a donkey who needs to be dragged shirtless

through the halls to a cafeteria dumpster and deposited.

Accept the mystery.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gutter-Fish wrote:.

Why did they think that was something people needed or even wanted is a mystery.

Why they changed the installer to automatically uninstall previous versions along with a totally broken version is....bad luck?

The questions you are asking & frustrations you're expressing have filled multiples pages of multiple threads over the last two years.

We've heard nothing.

Ooh, I can answer some of these!

First, though, I take some issue with the "We've heard nothing" part. The info I'm about to share were things I read from Adobe employees on these forums, the After Effects subreddit, or Adobe's blogs. So, we've heard a lot from the AE product team. The info is just a bit...scattered?

Anyway, on to what I've read!

Gutter-Fish wrote:

From my understanding their reason for breaking it was that they wanted to put the preview renderer on a separate thread from the rest of after effects so that you could "work" while previewing.

Your understanding is close, but not quite right and that's lead to this question. When they were "separating the thing from the thing" as it's called (making the renderer and the UI run on separate processing threads), the intent was not to make you able to work while previewing. The intent was just to get things running on separate threads. The working while previewing thing was just a bonus (if you can call it that).

I know some of you already know this, but I'll share it again for those who don't: They are re-doing AE's architecture to make it a fully multithreaded application. The old multiprocessing (spinning up multiple instances of AE in the background) was a janky old hack that had many bugs and issues. AE's old way of doing things was stuck at a speed ceiling. It did not make use of modern hardware. They needed to redo the whole thing from the ground up so that things could run more quickly. After their (in)famous poll asking if we wanted new features or a faster app, they said they would work on two things: increasing the speed of interactivity with AE and increasing the speed of rendering. The CC 2015 release was supposed to be that first step - then the bugs happened.

Anyway, long story short, the interactivity is much better with the new architecture and that was their intent.

Ever since the CC 2015 release of After Effects, I have enjoyed the snappier interface in my freelance studio. Every Monday, when I come back to my full-time job which is using an older version of After Effects, I get a bit impatient with it because I'm used to how much more responsive the new architecture is. I like not having to wait for it to render something to the composition panel before I can poke at something else.

The rendering speed is another thing entirely. We are finally, in the latest few releases, seeing some movement in that direction. We have GPU-accelerated effects introduced in the CC 2015.3 release and more added with CC 2017, we have instant footage playback, and we have a fully multithreaded C4D renderer built into AE.

There are two big things missing that effect a large bunch of people: realtime playback of cached previews (affects people on Macs with high res screens) and a fully multi-threaded AE renderer (affects everybody).

We have been assured that a fix for the first one is being worked on at a very high priority.

The second thing is one of their main goals as well. I mean, it was the whole reason for this re-architecture in the first place!

Gutter-Fish wrote:

This one I don't know for sure, but I have a pretty good guess. Corporate. The new architecture really needed some more work before it was released. Or Adobe should have made it very clear that folks should keep CC 2014 handy. The AE team made it as clear as they could, but Adobe didn't. This was a huge mistake on Adobe's part, in my opinion.

Gutter-Fish wrote:

I know this one! The answer is user requests.

Remember, After Effects is a teeny tiny part of Adobe's business. The vast majority of folks are much less technical and use much less complicated software. They complained when the CC 2014 release installed alongside the initial CC version. They were all, like, "This is just an update to CC, why are there two versions?" There was a massive swell of complaint from users of the the majority of their other software.

Now, why they don't make the fact that it's removing older versions a bit more obvious is beyond me. To me it seems like a really clueless mistake to make. There's not that much stuff in the "advanced" options. Just put it out there on the main screen instead of making us open it every time!

Gutter-Fish wrote:

Accept the mystery.

No. I will complain about the issues to the highest level of Adobe thatI can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish you were wrong Dave, but you just aren't wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, Dave's position is accurate. This has been a constant issue since CC 2015, and Adobe evidently will not put the resources into it to fix the issue. And why would they?

Now that Adobe has locked everyone into a subscription, they get paid whether the software works or not. Until there is a competitive product on the market, there is no incentive for them to do anything other than keep the software at a minimum viable level. (or in this case, below that level, since they will simply tell you to "Use a previous version" if you don't like the bugs in the current shipping software you're paying for.)

To be clear, I'm not taking shots at individual Adobe employees, I think the product folks mean well. But, they do what they can with the direction and resources they're given.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I agree with you but in the case of ram preview they changed something that nobody was asking for. Why did they touch the ram preview witch was rock solid ? I don't understand their process. The ram preview new code is obiously super buggy (on OSX an d Win) so why do they put it in a release ? As I said, nobody ask for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was incredibly frustrated with their Sierra support - and got the run-around from adobe.  They told me a good option was to wipe and re-install my OS and CC. The frustrating part was the eventually tech support told me that it was a known issue with Sierra and CC2015 and that it would be fixed in the new release.  I guess they thought re-installing would keep me busy for a month?  And now the 2017 is released - it seems to play nice with Sierra - but the RAM preview is borked. So what the shit...

I've actively turned my studio away from using flash, etc, because of this nonsense. I was even a cheerleader that got them using Premiere and that's been endless nonsense too.  Flash hasn't worked properly since CS3.

And there in lies the problem with the subscription model.  They never really fix the current version because they're so fixated on building the next.

But frankly, even before the subscription model, often bugs were fixed via paid upgrades.  Dave LaRonde may not have a warm bedside manner, but he ain't wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hami1car wrote:

Now that Adobe has locked everyone into a subscription, they get paid whether the software works or not. Until there is a competitive product on the market, there is no incentive for them to do anything other than keep the software at a minimum viable level. (or in this case, below that level, since they will simply tell you to "Use a previous version" if you don't like the bugs in the current shipping software you're paying for.)

Oh, Amen, Brother!  (or Sister -- can't tell from the handle)

I really really wish I was wrong about this stuff, but the above paragraph accurately summarizes my sentiments.

Think about this, kids.  Way back when, we bought us a brand-new copy of AE at my workplace... Version 4.1.  The tech loaded the Installation DVD, ran it, restarted the machine.... AND IT WORKED ROCK-SOLID FOR TWO FLIPPIN' YEARS! That's when we got Version 5, with similar bulletproof results.

Kinda makes you jealous, huh?  And it also makes you pray to your Deity Of Choice that some opportunity-seeking software developer realizes that today we'd drop Adobe like a hot potato if they made quality, competitive software... and gets busy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi StephaneA,

Is this issue solved with the update to After Effects CC (2017) 14.0.1?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, preview audio cuts out after a half second, resumes a second or two later. Very consistent, latest update (14.0.1.5) did not fix it.

System specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU

Memory: 16384MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Driver Version: 21.21.13.7306

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I've made a quick check of 14.0.1 and it is far more better ! I've noticed some slow down during the first 2 seconds of the first playback time to times but it is a great improvement.

At last I feel at home again

I will use CC 2017 instead of CC 2014 during next days and let you now.

Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I've been certainly critical of the issues with the new preview architecture since they changed it in 2015, but a lot has already changed and improved since then and personally I now have virtually no more issues with the RAM preview and audio on Windows 10.

Yes I have been many times frustrated with the updates up until now when something was fixed while breaking something else, but to claim that everything is still as broken as it was when the new architecture was first started is just wrong. In the end the core rewrite of AE was neccesary to be able to bring in more performance increase in the future. It can't have been easy to rewrite core parts of such an old application, so while I can totally sympathise with griping about Adobe and their subscription platform, and releasing the software with as many bugs as has happened in recent year, I also trust that the AE team are doing the best they can with the limited resources and the release schedule they are given. I don't always agree with the features being worked on, but the core rewrite is something which I fully support.

Ideally they should have just skipped 2015-2016 entirely and waited until their code was more developed and tested, perhaps using a public beta program, and they should by now have changed their installer behaviour that deletes old versions as standard.

But now I'm very confidently working with the latest version of AE on commercial projects, something that I haven't felt able to do for about a 1 1/2 years.

To the people having issues with audio: are you experiencing audio problems even though the video preview is done caching and running in real-time? Audio will of course stutter or slow down if you are previewing and the locator hits the spot where frames are not cached yet. I have "mute audio when preview is not real-time" switched OFF in preference, since I found that sometimes AE will "think" the preview was not in real-time at the start, even though it was, thus cutting out the audio.
I like to keep the "cache before playback" switch ON usually, since this makes the preview behaviour most like the old RAM preview. Although sometimes for simpler animations that render quickly I will switch it off and just keep it running, maybe with a skip frame of 1, and make changes to the animation while it's previewing. This actually can be a really nice and quick, interactive way of working and was not possible with the old RAM preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Snakedogman  Thanks for the post, my issue has been fixed by disabling "Mute audio when preview is not real time"

For the record I was still having this issue when the video was cached and playing in real time, my timeline had the green bar and everything. Even when playing back small sections the audio would cut out for the first few seconds/loops before resuming normal playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@

It seems that 14.0.1 (last update) fixes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it has been fixed. I know this is still a bit of a workaround, but this was actually suggested by Adobe on this forum in other threads. As I said, apparently there is still a lingering issue where AE "thinks" the preview is not realtime for the first couple of seconds, even when it is, resulting in the audio dropping out when the "mute audio..." switch is on. Apparently this particular issue has not yet been fixed, but I think it's safe to say Adobe are aware of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, apparently there is still a lingering issue where AE "thinks" the preview is not realtime for the first couple of seconds, even when it is, resulting in the audio dropping out when the "mute audio..." switch is on.

see if you can uncheck the hardware acceleration under preferences->display. this is what's causing this for me on my Win7 GTX970 system on any of my CC2015 and also CC2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped me play back audio and video on Win 10 cc 2017. No hardware acceleration solution has EVER worked on ANY version of AFX. Ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue, preview option can't play smoothly still lagging , latest update (15.0.0.0) (Build 180) did not fix it.

System specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU

Memory: 16384MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M

Driver Version: 20.19.15.4531

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your monitor(s) specs ? It seems the problem is related to the monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines