• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixing Certain Pages When Converting to Epub

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to keep the first few pages of the document as they appear in ID, such as the copyright page and acknowledgements. I also want the chapters to start on a new page.

If I put the chapters on a new page using Keep Options/Start on New Page, the chapter headings are moved to the top of the page.

If I select Split Document, this makes the prelim pages go all funny as they are not all in the same font or style.

What am I doing wrong?

I am using CC 2017.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Paragraph styles, you presumably have applied to the Chapter Headings style, under Export Tagging "Split Document (EPUB only), and in the EPUB – Reflowable Layout Export Options. you've selected Split Document "Based on Paragraph Style Export Options". This should get the chapters starting at the top of the new page.

Give the headings for the Acknowledgment and Copyright page a similar tag – but presumably different typography – and they then should also start on separate pages. You will probably have to experiment with applying spacing in the styles to get them positioned on the page as you want (not at the top of the page perhaps).

The Object > Object Export Options, EPUB and HTML tab, is also worth experimenting with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Derek. Yes, I did this and it worked for the chapter headings. I guess if I want to do it for the copyright pages, etc, each page/style would need to be in the same font. Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to add "The Object > Object Export Options, EPUB and HTML tab, is also worth experimenting with, for creating landmarks" e.g. Acknowledgment and Copyright pages etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font (in this context) is not important, it's the paragraph style that is. By the way, make sure your font is licensed for ePubs – all Typekit fonts are.

The thing is to keep checking your ePub as you develop it in various epub viewers (such as the iBooks viewer and Adobe Digital Editions) and devices, and to check the validation – Flightdeck is great for validation: FlightDeck

Also learn how to crack open the ePub  and have a look at the contents – all good fun!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done everything you have suggested and it has worked. Thank you so much.

The only thing now is that I have some random blank pages after before some of the New Chapter pages in the epub but not on the ID file. Do you have any idea what this may be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be worth having a look at the CSS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek, I'm looking for more information on the various settings for creating "landmarks" in the EPUB and HTML tab of the object export settings. I'm using ID CC 13.1 on a Mac. Adobe's basic description page of the Object Export Settings does not explain this very well. I'm assuming that this is best used for an image or a text frame that starts something in a reflowable epub like chapters, index, front matter, and the like. I would appreciate a link to something that has the details of each setting and best usage of the settings.

Thanks! Janet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have a look at the Object Export Options dialogue box, you need to select the test frame that you want to assign the landmark to.

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 22.27.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines