Exit

'Syncrhonize Folder...' not working

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images located in C:\Users\username\Pictures\2016-10-11

Right-click in Lightroom -> 'Syncrhonize Folder...'

Window pops up, only gives option to 'Scan for metadata updates' - the first option, 'Import new photos' is always greyed out and '0' even if new images in folder.

A week ago this worked. Now it doesn't.

I have purged settings. I have Ctrl+Alt+Shift+click app to reset preferences.

Nothing works. I cannot get Lightroom to recognize there are new images in folders.

Help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Maybe you have not turned on the Import option: Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/file-import-formats-settings.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you try to Import these photos instead of synchronizing the folder, what happens?

Are you 100% sure the photos are in the folder? Are these new photos, or previously existing photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I should have mentioned that. The Import dialog appears but then nothing actually happens. The respective folder in the Import dialog appears but all the previously imported/synch'd photos are greyed out; nothing new is available, even though there are files physically in the folder on the hard drive. If I attempt to drag-n-drop those files into the folder in the import dialog the window simply flash-refreshes and everything is still greyed out, nothing new or importable is available.

Thanks for asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nickynqns wrote:

Yeah I should have mentioned that. The Import dialog appears but then nothing actually happens. The respective folder in the Import dialog appears but all the previously imported/synch'd photos are greyed out; nothing new is available, even though there are files physically in the folder on the hard drive. If I attempt to drag-n-drop those files into the folder in the import dialog the window simply flash-refreshes and everything is still greyed out, nothing new or importable is available.

Thanks for asking.

You haven't stated definitively that there are NEW photos in this folder. Do these NEW photos appear greyed out when you try to import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hereby state definitively there are new photos in the folder on my C: hard drive.

Photos already imported are greyed out in the import dialog - new photos do not appear at all in the import dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dj_paige,

Thanks for your assistance.

I still cannot get the images to appear. Here's further explanation: in LR Library I select multiple photos and Ctrl+M (Photo -> Photo Merge -> Panorama) to create panoramas; this creates a .dng file; I typically crop these in Photoshop CS5, which creates a .tif file; these are too large to upload to Flickr (>200Mb) so I create a .jpg - it is these files I am trying to import/make accessible in LR so I can edit them/upload/etc.

Here are screenshot walkthroughs:

adobe1.jpg

Exited LR, deleted file, followed instructions on link you sent to reset, and confirmed during launch of application:

adobe2.png

LR confirmed preferences reset by showing me generic new-user dialogs:

adobe3.png

Went to folder in question, attempted to drag-and-drop .jpg file into folder, it popped up the Import dialog and all the images were *not* greyed out at first; then became greyed out and .jpg still not visible:

adobe4.jpg

Up until a couple weeks ago I could see the JPGs I made via this process in Lightroom. Now I can't. No matter what I do. It physically restricts these JPGs from appearing in the software by any means. I cannot synchronize to show them, I cannot import to show them, I can't even put them in a new separate folder and import them from that location - not from the Desktop not nowhere.

I'm stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you have not turned on the Import option: Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/file-import-formats-settings.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks dj_paige and Jim Wilde - that did it! *Whew!*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Preferences>General Tab and make sure that "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" is CHECKED. If it's currently unchecked I think Lightroom will see that jpeg as a sidecar file to that adjacent Tif, so won;t even show it in the Import window. Unchecking that option should allow it to be imported as a separate file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines