• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can not animate Anchor Point for Path animations

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a simple walking animation using 16 frames. I am just using two strokes for legs that I used to the pen tool to create.

I am able to animate the front leg and the back leg both taking steps forward and back and marking my frames. Once I go to edit the path for middle positioning movements it will not let me click on any anchor points.

I have tried holding Shift+Click to grab one of the nodes but the moment I click the leg (or whatever I am animating) it unselects paths and starts distorting the object in the transform section. Is there a setting that I have on that isn't allowing me to edit this the way I need to? I haven't been able to find any solutions through the forums or online in general.

I tried to be as descriptive as I can with what I am doing hoping that it all makes sense.

The first image is where I click on the path layer

the second is where I shift+click on the leg to bring my anchor points/nodes up to edit the curve of the leg

the third is what happens when I try to edit the curve (It deselects the Path layer and this full box is around the whole path)

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 10.09.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-22 at 10.09.37 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-22 at 10.09.59 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you have the Path highlighted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the pen tool and the Alt/Option and Ctrl/Cmnd keys as modifiers to select and animate your path points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick, I attempted to use the Pen Tool, the Convert Vortex tool, tried to add a vortex and it wont edit the stoke(Leg) at all. Anytime I click it, it automatically looks like the last image I had posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears you are using cc 2015. make sure your sofware is up to date. It should be 13.7.1 Other than that I would reset my preferences: Reset After Effects Preferences

also try to narrow down the issue. Fresh project, comp, shape etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roei, I started a whole new composition and it still is doing the same. I work for a corporate company and there are large security issues as to why my version is not the most current. The tutorial I followed the instructions on was posted over a year ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact version are you using? Full numbers please.

have you tried resetting your preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

version 13.5.0.347

I haven't reset my settings.. I am still in the learning aspects of using after effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

version 13.5.0.347

you are using what is probably the worst version that Ae has ever released. 13.5 - aka cc 2015 first release was so buggy that it took Five updates of fixes to make it work properly.  known issues in After Effects CC 2015 | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe. if you want to use a decent version of CC2015, you need 13.7.1 on Windows and 13.7.2 on Mac

let me stress that this is not about using a current version.  you can use CS6, CC2014, CC2015 CC2015.3 or CC2017 but you have to make sure you are using the most updated version of each release. this is about working with a proper, fully functional version. what you are experiencing is not normal yet I can't find this specific bug in the bug listings. this could or could not mean that if you update your version you will get this to resolve - no way of knowing until your try. the one thing you can be sure of is you are using a version that is so full of surprises that accomplishing a project with it is taking a high risk you won't be able to finish it properly or at all. I work in all sorts of business ranging from 5 to 500 computers on networks that have all sorts of limitations and there are I.T Administrators that should allow you to update your software because it is crucial to your work.

I haven't reset my settings.. I am still in the learning aspects of using after effects.

what's stopping you?

in the case where this is still some kind of user error or misunderstanding, here's a tutorial of our very own Rick Gerard demonstrating a good practice when using bezier paths in masks. shape layers are quite the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dave, I had the Path Highlighted but when I clicked on the leg it automatically unselects itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines