• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjusting reading order makes display changes

Participant ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 175+ page PDF I'm trying to make accessible. In InDesign, I set up tags and structure, thinking they'd help with Reading Order. Apparently I was wrong, because the results in Acrobat DC are just about the most nonsensical ordering of items I've ever seen.

In the Reading Order panel, I tried dragging and dropping the elements to the correct order, but then items on the page that are overlapping are disappearing. What's going on here and how do I fix it?

Another problem I'm seeing is when I drag and drop the order, sometimes the item I was dragging disappears. This is so confusing and frustrating!

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, common problem - called the Z order problem. The items are still there, just hiding behind other items. I recommend using the Tags Pane rather than the Order Pane to adjust reading order. Use the Content Pane to readjust the order in the visual representation of the document. For example, if text goes into hiding behind a shaded box, in the Content Pane move the shaded box to a position before the text. Text will reappear. I posted a video on this topic that you might find helpful - z order problem - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic. I watched the video and have one question: Why does an item that is supposed to be behind another item have to be placed before it in the content panel?

I mean, I get that it's just how Acrobat works, but I wondered if you knew the logic behind it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, don't know. I guess it had to be one way or the other. Maybe John Warnock flipped a coin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines