• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert Audio to Keyframes (relationship to Decibel levels)

Engaged ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there I wonder does anybody know how the values of convert audio to keyframes, is calculated ?

What is the numerical relationship between "audio to keyframes" and decibel levels... ?

I am trying to figure out how to calculate LUFS, loudness average from the values. Loudness can be calculated in Media Encoder,

but for interest would like to know the relationship of "Both Channels" to decibel level...

Any ideas?

tks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Convert audio to keyframes just takes the levels - not the loudness but the value shown on a VU meter and converts that to a number with the same range as the VU meter. The VU goes from -24 to 0, or traditionally for analogue from -12 to +12. The range range for audio keyframes goes from zero to 50 so using the digital VU meter markings a value of -10 will give you a keyframe value of 20.

You can see the numbers in the graph editor:

Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 9.30.51 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert audio to keyframes just takes the levels - not the loudness but the value shown on a VU meter and converts that to a number with the same range as the VU meter. The VU goes from -24 to 0, or traditionally for analogue from -12 to +12. The range range for audio keyframes goes from zero to 50 so using the digital VU meter markings a value of -10 will give you a keyframe value of 20.

You can see the numbers in the graph editor:

Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 9.30.51 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Rick, thats brill, can I ask how you know the range is 1-50 ? or where is there information on that . . .?

Thank you

Alan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know because I tested it out with some audio long time ago.

Record a tone at 50%, record another town at 100 or zero DB and check it out for yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just going to do that right now. Thanks for being so helpful. Posted your answer over where I was discussing it originally too.

Re: RMS / LUFS average loudness in AE

I am trying to script something to give a LUFS reading for audio in AE - doesn't have to be perfect, so now I am getting reasonably accurate figures, but still testing, now that I know the range translation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines